View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #65
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts View Post
Nothing negative about it at all,just wondering what motivates people to go silent about one bite but not another and obviously people dont like to share,or there would be a lot more posting,,maybe you can understand that now,but I doubt it
I think people are misconstrued as what constitutes a "Bite"

The stray Yellow Tail which get picked up here and there and make it to the forums isn't a "bite." There are YT in La Jolla all year long and they're bound to get caught between wide open bites.

A "bite" means load up your cooler with ice, make room in your freezer and bring one rod because that's all you're going to need to leave with limits. We had a few like that this year and to be honest most of them were kept on the hush within a very small circle.

Often times, when the squid bites blow up in LJ isn't because it gets posted on the internet. It's mainly because you can't launch from the shores and NOT paddle past the boats and kayaks sitting on the squid grounds. Most of the time people stop and say

"Uhhh Hey....whats going on in here."

They didn't even know squid existed. I didn't my first time I fished there.
Next day, they come back with squid jigs and dropper loops. They call their new buddies they just met, tell them and then post it on the web because they're super stoked. Usually someone will nudge that lucky angler to keep from posting on the internet for a few days to keep the pressure off.

The WSB came through LJ in the Spring and for four days there was only two skiffs, three kayaks, a few divers and one PB on that bite then it was over. It was limits for everyone but that bite never saw the web because all the guys out there knew the impact it would have on the fishery. A few weeks later, most of us posted our stories and our fish.

There's always that occasional "Well the Cats out of the bag" post when someone decides to blow up a bite under the assumption it's already known and usually that's true.

Policing other individuals right to post is not only constitutionally wrong but just a dickish thing to do. The best this would be to educate and encourage those who wish to post to use discretion when and what information they post. Not because it protects the locals, or the guys who work hard to find the fish themselves... but because if they want LJ to stay open and they care to see home guards here year after year they will be mindful of the impact 200+ baited lines in the water will do the population. No need to bully people in a corner and threaten them if they post.

It's very important for new guys to make small circles of friends like Lollipop, Sewer, RedSled, TackticalCrew, Jurassic..... not saying they need to make team names and all that nonsense, just get a small group of like minded individuals who want to excel at this sport and can help eachother out without relying on the internet to put fish in their laps.

That's my .02

Last edited by Drake; 10-26-2013 at 02:35 PM.