View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Aaron&Julie

Todd, when it comes to big halibut fishing, you may be over-analyzing what is needed for the size of fish. More importantly might be the depth of your halibut fishing and the gaffing/clipping of the fish, which from our experiences is the most critical point.

The day Julie caught her Women's record 46+lb halibut, she caught it on a freshwater rod, and 12lb line. The line tested a little higher so the IGFA gave her the record for 16lb line instead. No matter what pound test, it was and is the largest CA halibut ever caught by a woman, on any craft. That halibut did not give up easy, she couldn't gain line for about 20 minutes, it stayed totally vertical, right below her in 10 feet of water. We simultaneously hooked up, and after bringing up my just legal 'but, I saw the bend in her rod, and let mine go to assist in her fish. 20 minutes later the halibut gave up her 10 feet of line, and we were blown away at what we saw. I hit the "sweet spot" on the 1st gaff attempt and slid her onto the fish clip, before she knew what hit her. And of course the next thing to hit her was a club. She never offered a huge amount of resistance, but things just worked in our favor. 1) She was so big, she might not have realized she's was in a fish/person fight 2) When she did come up, she was stunned by the gaff shot 3) Clipped and clubbed fully subdued her in the end.

Julie hooked, fought and caught a 34lber about 30 minutes later in about 15 feet of water. Much different results this time, though. It actually ran (a little like a ray), and it took and gained line repeatedly. The fight was just as long, maybe longer. And when I had the honor of gaffing her 2nd barndoor of the morning, I did not hit the "sweet spot" and the damn thing nearly caused me to get capsized besides splashing me with a good gallon of water. How that one managed to stay on the gaff surprised me. It took a few extra whacks of the club to get that one nice and mellow. It was caught on a different spinning rod (light surf pole), and 15lb test as I remember.

We don't have nearly the experience or results as the other excellent halibut fishermen you mentioned, but in our limited experience, when fishing shallow, as in bays or very close to beaches, you don't need heavy gear. 15lb to 30lb line is probably good enough, spinning or conventional gear, just have the drag rather loose, especially when the 'but nears the surface where he may try a desperation run. We don't use heavy rods either. If we try for 'buts deeper, say off of LJ, then we'll just change the same conventional outfits, we fish for YT, or WSB, to bottom fishing for 'buts. Now, we're talking 30lb gear and heavier rods and reels.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice coming your way.