View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
Lipripper - What or where is Table Rock. I have launched from Dog Beach to get to Solana Kelp.

Hondatom - #1, Use a PFD. #2, Dress to get wet. My first launches here left me more cold from being soaked than embarrassed from the pummelling. I get soaked heading out even just poking through and over the waves smoothly. Also, the swells seem to pick-up more as the day goes by. The re-entry is the trick. Go with the expectation to flip and learn and you will begin the process. Definitely wait for low wave/swell days to start. I have sat outside of the breakers for 20-minutes studying and timing re-entry. It's counter-intuitive but don't try and ride the waves in.
Check out Google Earth at 35-59-56.37 117-16-39.39. The imagery shows the reef outline as well as the kelp beds in the area. Park on/near Solana Vista Drive, the stairs are at the end of the road. I have free dived the area for the last few years, but haven't taken the yak out yet. for C&R I would troll a lucky craft 110 pointer right past the breaking waves, or in a east/west direction against the south side of the reef. Two years ago on Christmas there as a super low tide that revealed a good portion of the reef. There are a few holes the size of a Jacuzzi in the reef that the hali's love to hang out in and ambush bait that drifts into the holes.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote