View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
Fiskadoro

So I did some reading. Looks like your Corvina has flatter tails when young, and a more pointed tail as it get's older, size wise it's right between our two fish. Our corvina max out at fifty pounds, your corvina get's to around a 50kg, while the Totoaba reaches 100kg.

Your larger fish looks more like a Totoaba to me, but then again it's big, and it has a more pointed tail. Looking around I found some info about fish farming your corvina in the Nile Delta which got me thinking it might spawn in fresh water. Totoaba spawn in the Colorado River Delta, and the young fish stay there for a while in brackish water before heading out to sea. Turns out your Corivina also spawns in estuaries like deltas and the young fish stay there for a while in the brackish water before heading out to sea. Our Corvina spawn in saltwater like our White Seabass, (another local relative of the Corivina) so I'd say your fish is probably has more similarities biologically to our larger fish the totoaba.

Great catch!!! Just a beautiful fish.

I wish we had those fish here. Like I said they are similar to the Totoaba but Totoaba are mainly south of us in the Gulf of California, and their numbers have severely declined since the Dams were built above their spawning grounds, and they started diverting the majority of the water out of the Colorado river.

I've a friend that caught one in the Gulf and supposedly there were even a few of them in the Salton sea a long time ago, but I've never seen one and probably never will since they are critically endangered and probably aren't going to be around much longer. They just didn't think much about fish conservation in the 1930s. Completed within a few years of each other Boulder dam destroyed the Totoaba fishery, and Grand Coulee Dam killed off a legendary run of Giant Chinook the largest Salmon in the Americas that routinely exceeded 100 pounds.

Great post, keep them coming!!!

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-30-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote