View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I'm a newbie myself, only been out on the yak about 5 or 6 times so far, and I don't think I'm ready for the open water yet. I've been out of the harbor fishing around Doheny Beach but only when it's pretty calm out. I was heading out Sunday and there were some waves coming over the bow of my yak so I just turned around and fished inside the harbor. I guess it depends on how much nerve you have but I think it's best to hit the open water when you feel ready and then go with a buddy. I know in my younger days I would have just headed out to sea but either I'm smarter now or I think too much or my balls are shrinking a bit, not sure which
Not sure just going for it is the best idea either. Me and a buddy of mine first time ever in the ocean on a yak attempted to launch from San Onofre beach with like 4-5" waves coming in at probably 7 seconds. Got flipped multiple times lost a rod and reel. Good learning experience but deff far beyond my skill level. Haha oh the joys of being young and dumb.