View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
steveooo

I guess it all depends. The way I see it, it is just as much work for the guy to come over to us and give us a scoop as it is for him to give a scoop to a regular boater. They work basically for tips. Also, I'm usually first guy to the bait barge, it is still dark outside, and I'm waking the guy up by knocking on the door with my paddle. I put myself in his shoes, and figure I'd be pretty ticked to get out of my warm cozy bed for a buck or 2. Is $5 any better? Probably not, but it makes me feel better.

I've also learned this- Tip the guy decent, he learns who you are. Normal guys get the bait from one tank, usually the one with the cone. Guys who tip get the bait from the special tank that is healthy and cured, usually a few tanks away from the orange cone. Also, bait guys are usually pretty informed of where fish are being caught, and what they are being caught on. Grease the skids every once and a while and you might be surprised. Cheaper than fish dope...

Lately I've been skipping the bait barge though. Try to make a few greenbacks and go big or go home
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote