View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Timing is something that gets better with practice. Just when you think you have the right time to make a run for it, a wave that appears to be slow moving suddenly builds up quickly and catches you. Focus on aiming the kayak straight because the slightest turn can put you into a roll. I've learned to stow my rods or lay them down and strapped so I don't lose them. I had one snap because I left it in the rod holder coming in when the waves seemed low and no big deal. Use a leash. You can pick up some cheap dogleases at Walmart if needed for an easy solution. One other suggestion that I have heard from a few people but have not tried yet is to hang your legs out on either side when coming in to slow down the landing. Also, in response to Nathan's comment on the sets coming in, I've found the sets to be mixed up and only mother nature knows what will happen. Like Jimm H, best advice, don't launch when I do because the pattern of the sets will surely change as I start to make a run for it! :-) Have fun with it and wear you PFD so if you roll and get hit in the head with your yak, you will have the help of the PFD!

Planning on getting out there to try and figure out Mother Nature this weekend,

Maggie
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote