View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
Corey

Hey Lenard, I hope to see ya down here sometime soon. Send me a pm or call if you're coming down to fish, man.

My reel experience:
I love my Trinidad 20 for yo-yoing and fishing bait. The adjustable clicker is awesome for trolling bigger macs w/ and w/o weight. The thing is buttery smooth and has 6.2:1 ratio which I love. Also you cant beat Shimano's service. I have found this to be a low maintenance reel as it has only needed service once in its 3 years of yakfishing. When I did send it in for a standard servicing, they completely replaced the crank side of the reel to give me the upgraded drags, etc. I was stoked.

Accurate Boss Magnum 197: This is an awesome lever drag reel for fishing bait or trolling w/ spectra mainline. The reel is tiny, but will hold approx 300 yds of 50# spectra plus a short topshot. The clicker is strong enough to fish macs w/ or w/out weight without having to engage the drag. It also has killer freespool and casts better that any other leverdrag I've used. They make it in 4.6:1 and 6.2:1. My only problem with this reel is that it has very tight tolerances which means that sand & corrosion can gum it up easily. It is not hard to work on, but if it has to be sent to Accurate, they are kinda slow. Although in 4 years I have only had to send it in once for service and it cost $20, but took 2 months to get it back.

Diawa Sealine 40 SHV: Awesome reel for the price as most will tell you. It costs $95 and is bombproof, but does not have infinite anti-reverse and makes clicking noise when you reel. However it has amazing freespool, and takes abuse and works great which is a good feature for the yak. I'm glad I finally listened to my bros and checked one out. I have been using for surface irons and it casts better than my Trinidad 20.

Shimano TLD 15/30 Star: Another $100 reel that has served me well as far as durability is concerned, but casts like crap, even w/ bearing upgrades. The Sealine is a way better reel for the same price.

I also use a few others like TLD 10 for trolling plugs & occasionally bait and calcutta 400 for bait & lighter stuff like Calicos, light halibut, rockfish & lings. etc.

What do you want these 2 new setups to do? bait, iron, all-around? I guess if I had $350 each to spend on 2 reels, I'd get Trinidads, (maybe a 20 and a 16 but I haven't tried the Saltigas. If you want a leverdrag, the Accurates are bitchin'. However I will say that you can definitelty do the same thing and catch the same fish for $100 - 150 per reel.

Last edited by Corey; 06-20-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote