Thread: Hobie Sail kit.
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Mobie Hobie
Junior

To each his own..

I use a sail on my 14. Here is what I like:

When the breeze is up you can in fact cover more ground faster with the sail. Why pedal at a sprint when you can sit back, have a refreshing drink and let the wind take you at the speed of pedaling fast? You pedal your ass off up current and in wind once, put up sail and see how easy and fun it is to sit back and enjoy the ride and you might find like me I always take the sail and hope for some breeze!

If you have to go up current the combination of sail and pedal in just the lightest
breeze makes up current movement lots less work. Lots!

It takes seconds to deploy sail, a few minutes to roll up and get back to fishing. Yesterday on the bay in that light breeze I drifted from SI over to North Island, put up the sail, crossed effortlessly directly into the wind and ate my lunch. Once back up wind, rolled up sail, dropped a live chovy and resumed my drift back over to North Island! If I want a cardio workout and a sweat I go to gym. When I want to fish I want to fish!

Now I am 55! So the sail thing lets me get the exercise I want and then I have the confidence knowing easier to get back, and faster in the wind and current with sail! And I like to make a day out of being on water sun up to sun down!

As far as learning if you never sailed it is a no brainer and in an hour you will be fine! It really is easy.

I have been out in a pretty good breeze. Its a blast as the kayak leans and really starts to take off. I think it would be a challenge and a scream to troll a live mack at LJ and get hooked up while sailing along! Imagine that fire drill? I wonder if anyone has done that? If I absolutely want a yellowtail for dinner I will go to the fish market. To me, its about a challenge. Just stupid fun on the water!

I look fwd to a real windy day to see what the sailing limits actually are! It is pretty cool to look up see the mast flexing and hear the sound of your wake as kayak is being pushed through water. Your turbo fins stay down and act like a center board. Tuck them up and you can slide a bit!

Try the sail! You might find you enjoy it! Never be hesitant to try new things! Go for it!
Mobie Hobie is offline   Reply With Quote