Thread: la jolla report
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
This is terrifying! I know something like this is bound to happen to me, I just hope it never does
I'm not trying to scare anyone just telling what happened. Awhile ago I watched a video in which Jim Sammons was testing waders in a pool. Great video with him going under water without the waders filling up.
I think the reason I got so much water in mine was first, the force of the wave while under water "pushed" water down into them. Second, I was wearing a sweatshirt that was tucked into my waders creating gaps between the waders and myself.
As for wearing waders again..... I will. I will just be more careful about how tight the top is against ME and not a sweatshirt.
If you haven't already check out Jims wader video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Damn Bro, that's crazy! Was the GoPro running?
No, not this time. Lol. I'd like to have more videos on YouTube of me catching fish not rolling. One is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Were you wearing a pfd or jacket over your waders? That and a belt is usually enough to keep them from filling up.
I ALWAYS wear my pfd! but like mentioned above I was wearing a sweatshirt tucked into my waders that made some gaps for water to get in. My pfd WAS and is ALWAYS on correctly with the straps tight and the zipper zipped so it doesn't ride up in the water. I also was wearing a belt but had the sweatshirt tucked into that also The belt is a streatchy kind and probably isn't the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
A cotton sweatshirt - the absolute worst thing one should wear kayaking. Go out and buy a cheap fleece jacket at ChinaMart or someplace - made from polypropylene and will not hold gallons of water, and retains its insulating properties when wet.
Ahh yes. A nice big, thick, and warm sweatshirt with a hood that feels like a cinder block around your neck when it gets wet. I won't be wearing it again.

I will still wear waders but will be careful about what I wear underneath. No more sweatshirts at least while launching. Under my waders I wear those stretch type pants that you see runners wearing. They keep me warm and don't hold moisture or in this case water. I would hate to imagine how yesterday would have ended if I was wearing sweat pants under my waders.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote