View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
I looked at these before and was going to get one and then I read this on the DFG website;

"VENTING: A sharp needle or steel cannula is used to puncture a fish’s inflated swim bladder.
The California Department of Fish and Game does not currently encourage venting as it can cause
serious injury to fish and angler
. You may accidentally puncture the wrong organ and/or introduce
infection. Even when done properly, venting damages a fish’s swim bladder."

IDK

You don't puncture the swim bladder, as a matter of fact the needle never doesn't come close to the fishes mouth.

http://www.ventafish.com/instructions.idc

Best practices in fish venting call for venting the fish as quickly as possible while handling the fish minimally.
STEP 1: Hold the fish gently but firmly on its side. Place your VENTAFISH™ tool with the 45 degree front end approximately 1-2 inches from the base of the pectoral fin.
STEP 2: After removing the saftey cap, slowly depress the plunger. The needle will penetrate the fish as you depress the plunger. Your VENTAFISH™ is designed so that it will not lock into place. Only depress the plunger enough to release the gases. The sound of the escaping air and deflation will be noticeable.
STEP 3: Return the vented fish to the water as soon as possible. If the fish is slow to respond, try reviving it by holding it with its head pointed downward while moving it back and forth to restore the circulation of water over the gills. Continue until the fish i

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote