View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
Alas, I'm in search of my "first rig" to start fishing ... I “think” I’m looking for a rig versatile enough to do inshore learning curve, but get me by if I try to go for WSB . . . Possible?

I hit Performance, and Pacific Edge shops to get advice on "what to buy" -- am following threads here too. ‘Yakked with Turners and Brandon at the LB Sport Chalet. Nice guy.

Listening to all the LJ WSB hunters I was set to jump in a Sealine . . . But the topic seems like peeling an onion. With the Hobie Revo I can go deeper . . . but I don't have a finder yet . . .

I'm trying to figure out the "type" of fishing I'll be able to do regularly . . . and help use that in the buying decision.

While I'm enthralled by the very sexy WSB . . . as I start out, I expect I'll be hitting the breakwater at LB, Maybe LB oil islands . . . do some time in PV kelp ‘cause it’s pretty off there, or off Newport/Corona Del Mar . . .

I expect getting started I'll lurk off the breakwater etc. and just "get my feet wet" and figure it out. Learn some knots. Try and tag along with someone here once I'm past the tripping over my own feet stage.

I dunno if the Sealine is too heavy for this?

I suspect just getting something average and just getting on the water is one way to "just do it." Say get a Penn 500 and an Ugly Stick. Maybe a some kind of lighter baitcaster combo . . .

I'm a little "at sea" as I sort this out.

I wonder if as a rookie I should get a lighter baitcaster . . . ? Seems there’s three classes . . . 1) Light bay rig 2) heavier bait caster 3) med to heavy deep sea rig like Sealine on a med/heavy rod.

Seems I might need to decide on bait . . . doing plastics or iron seems attractive to “grab and go” after work and not have to hit the barge (2 hr paddle in LB).

But, I’m hearing non-live bait just doesn’t work as weill and/or lures is an acquired skill. And, a rig for that might be lighter than WSJ?

While I think I can rule out a light bay rig. I don’t know if something that’ll work inshore, can handle deeper stuff.

And, I may want to jump down and see Darkhorse or another guide. So, it’d be nice to have something heavy enough for that . . .

But, I gotta live with it and be effective where expect I fish most and for that type of condition . . . which of course . . . I’m kinda ignorant of as a rookie.

WHAT THE FU€K
I don't even know how to respond
RK is offline   Reply With Quote