View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
ashmoz

La Jolla Thresher 10.14.12 - Released

Sunday October 14th - Thresher Catch and Release

Third time out on the Outback; what a boat! Launched with the Middlebro at 630ish, & The Bigbro working (on a Sunday!)...

Launch was OK. Made bait even though I was planning to fish with squid mostly. I just can't paddle over a bait ball and not throw in my sabiki... The macs looked good (they all do to me), so I pinned one on with a 2oz weight on 65 Spectra and ~5' of 50lb floro. Fished around for a while with squid and mac. Caught a few rockfish and sandbass and then the mac got picked up around 11pm near the surface, in about 120 ft of water. Sounded like a seal, but I saw it jump out... Turned on the camera and filmed the action (nice jumps and a dope sleigh ride caught on cam). Took about 30 minutes to bring to the yak. I tried to bring it up close and somehow pull out the hook or at least cut as close to the hook as possible, then I got slapped by the tail. Next round I cut the leader about a foot from the hook. Not feeling great about it, but couldn't do better...

Not sure how big or how much it weighed; guesses are welcome!

The middle bro was far so we didn't get to have a second cam. The footage turned out quiet nice and I will share once the bigbro does his editing magic.

Here's a few snapshots:

Cheers
Attached Images

ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote