View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
October
Fish Whisperer

First Time Ocean yak fishing questions...

Ok. I have been gathering as much intel as I could the last few months before I brave the ocean. I have been practicing in the local lakes and what not and I feel like I will be able to manage the big blue. I just have a couple questions. Sorry if they sound stupid. It takes me probably nearly 2 hours to get to la jolla from where im coming so I want to be 110% prepared so that my odds at not flipping and catching fish are greater.

1) I see everyone say that you should turn your fish ID off on your FF. Why is that?

2) What is the best most effective way to rig live bait? If I want to go deep, should I use a 2oz sinker? Carolina rigged? Dropper loop with a 40 oz? or stick to fly lining? Which brings me to my next question

3) I keep seeing people say dont do a basic dropper loop. Do a spider hitch dropper loop. Someone tried explaining it but it sounded way confusing and I cant find a visual online.

4) do La Jolla kelp beds have decent calicos? I was thinking of bringing a lighter setup in case my YT ventures don't succeed.

5) Im going to be in a 12 footer (tarpon 120 hull). Any tips on managing a smaller yak out there?

Last edited by October; 08-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.
October is offline   Reply With Quote