Thread: a pair of jacks
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #38
boxturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
You apparently don't know a lot about the breeding habits of our local fish.

First, it is legal to catch and keep 5lb yellowtails. They reproduce at an alarming rate which is why the Tuna sportboats are putting hundreds of yellows in their daily counts.

Second, it is illegal to keep calicos under 12", so that post will never occur, unless by a total moron. It takes years and years for calicos to become legal. Those yellowtail are maybe a year old.

You can keep 5 yellowtail of that size, the next 5 have to be longer than 24". 4" calicos are illegal.

Thanks, Danjor for releasing your small yellowtail. Maybe we'll catch them on our next trip and have some fresh hamachi to look forward to.
x2 I use to keep calicos too until i learn how slow they take to mature those are rat size yellow lol Hella fun on ultra light gear and I would have no problem keeping those.

Hey if anybody has some good post on actual biological background on the local fishes like growth rate, population, and reproduction rate of our local species please post and ask admin to make permanent post. That will be very useful (MLPA members here is a chance for you to shine and do something useful )

Please keep it short and to the point report facts only please
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote