Thread: I beat a seal
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
I was out a couple nights ago and watched a guy on a private boat beat a pelican over the head three times with his fishing rod....I could not believe this douche bag. I peddled towards the guy keeping the pelican between us and it appeared he had killed the pelican. As I kept going towards the pelican the pelican woke up but obviously wasn't doing too well. The guy was laughing and said he just knocked it out. I was pretty pissed off and told the guy that was fucked up....He stated the pelican was trying to get his bait (and he had been loading up on bait) and so I said so you hit it over the head three times with your rod.....he said the bait had a hook in it and so I said then you do like the rest of us and take the hook out of its mouth and put more bait on.....the guy apologized twice for his action but I told him he broke its right wing and essentially it was a dead bird.......I didn't see a boat name and couldn't see a CF number but I would have loved to turn this douche bag in........I told him this is exactly what gives fisherman a bad name.....again he was apologetic and if I was a young buck I would of been on his boat beating him with his rod....this is a protected species and one I love to see when I'm on the water......If I hook one I get it in and get the hook out and let it go without creating any injury to the animal.

I love to be out on the water and enjoy all the wildlife that I encounter. Whether I catch fish or not I always feel like I have had a great day due to the total experience. Witnessing a guy due this type of stuff was a real buzz kill and makes fisherman look bad. Striking a sealion with a paddle is likely not going to do any damage and only get him a way from your fish....but attaching a knife to injure or kill a sea lion is illegal and pretty messed up thought process in my opinion.....and again gives fisherman a bad name.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/...niasealion.htm
You have to remember I have a gaff and 9" fillet knife with me and opted for the paddle and foot.

Im sure The knife on a stick seems like a good idea to anyone when you have a fish on board and the seals want it.

Saw a dead pelican and two scuba chickens out there.