View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Randy214
Junior

I would go with the Lowrance 5x pro over the DSI unit. Turn off the fish icons and look for activity under the water. Clouds of bait fish...ect. The DSI unit will show more structure detail in shallow water, but I don't think it's the best "fish finder".

As an alternative to the Pelican box, Walmart sells a water proof box for $8 in the camping section.

I have been using a plastic bag over the fishfinder to keep the screen dry during launch. However, I'm not using it to waterproof the unit. The Lowrance units are "sealed and waterproof". You could disconnect it for launch and put it in a water tight bag. Your only issue at that point will be making sure the power/transducer connector is dry before pluggin it in on the water. I recently fried my 570 DSI fishfinder. It slid loose going through the waves and when I snapped it back into the quick connect, the water in the connectors shorted the unit. This has become my only concern with waterproof fishfinders.

A small amount of dielectric grease on the connector pins will also help to water proof the connector and limit corrosion.

After using the humminbird 570 DSI and the 5X Lowrance, I prefer the non DSI 5x pro.
Randy214 is offline   Reply With Quote