View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelogger View Post
A few noob questions.

Where to launch? I was thinking shell beach or boomers beach...

Im fishing with penn jig master 500L and 7' ugly tiger with a 500yds 65lb spectra base(not cheap!) My second rod is a 6'6" and spinning with 20lb spectra.
My question is about fluoro. I bought 30 yards of 30lb seaguar. How much fluoro should I tie on the spectra? The kayak fisherman I bought it from said not to use fluoro in the kelp beds.

I'm going to try and catch my own bait. I have a sabiki, 3 once weight, and some frozen sardines for chum. Where should I go to catch bait? Can I paddle out to the kelp and try for bait where I see signs of life?

So far ive picked up a blue and chrome tady 45, 2 oz anchovie laser minnow, and a 4 oz green/black dot/shiny silver laser minnow. With all the rod and limited tackle I have, how can I use this to catch fish. I'very been getting skunked a lot lately.

Thanks

For launching, most people launch at the boat launch @ the end of Avenida De La Playa in La Jolla. Summer time is pretty busy @ the launch, so bring some wheels. Make sure you know where the reserve boundaries are for fishing.

The 2 rigs you have should be good for now. Tie about 3 feet of flouro on to your spectra, and use a 2/0 - 4/0 size hook for the size of bait out there right now. Tie good knots, there are some fish around that are no joke.

To catch bait, look near the edges of visible kelp, or just look for bait puddling on the surface. Get a greenback mac if you can, and fish it basically in the same areas that you can see bait puddling around, or being chased by something below.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote