View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
caddisx
caddisx

Newbie looking for Newport Harbor halibut

I have been lurking around BWE for months being new to kayak fishing. My expertise lie in rocky mountain trout so although I know how to fish this whole fishing in the ocean from a kayak has been a bit of a learning curve for me. I go out into Newport harbor as much as I possiblly can and have become pretty good at catching the spotted bay bass. I eventually want to wander out of the harbor to go for some bigger quary and maybe a crab/bug or two but that will need to wait till next year when I build up a bit more skill. What has completely eluded me inside the harbor is halibut. I have asked other kayakers and some others and I mostly get use live bait around bait barge. I got into kayaking because I inherited an old ocean kayak scupper pro. I couldn't get a bait tank on it even if I wanted to. My question is what is my best chance to get a halibut using plastic? I will try a lot and am very open to suggestions or help. I am planning on going out again this Fri. morning so all and any info will be used soon.
caddisx is offline   Reply With Quote