View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtp View Post
Looking to go out this weekend and hunt Ts for first time. Any thresher fishermen headed out?

Need advice on gear and rigs, location and what not, also fishing game plan. Any input is appreciated.

I won't be out this weekend but I let you know how I rig for T-sharks.

Heavy rod, reel spooled with 65lb braid to a 10-15 foot leader of 100lb mono to a 9/0 j-hook. The 100lb mono is for the tail of the T-shark not the teeth. If you hook a thresher in the mouth they will tail whip your line multiple times during the fight and may break the line if you are using too small of a line size.

Pin on the biggest bait you can catch (Mac preferred). Nose hook your bait from bottom out the top. Thresher sharks tail whip baits before turning around and eating them, If you nose hook your bait out the side it may be knocked off the hook and also leads to a higher possibility of tail hooking.

Now throw out your bait and troll, you will feel them tail whip your bait and then wait for them to come back to eat your bait. Hold on and get ready for a good fight.

Now I haven't been able to isolate a depth that is more productive but cover water and you may get lucky. You may troll all day for nothing or you may hook up in the first hour. I know there was a lot of activity off Doheney a couple weeks ago but who knows where they will be come this weekend.

Good luck out there
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote