View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #15
smithers

GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
I have an Eagle Cuda ff. Is the app so good that it's still worth purchasing? I like the up to date weather and conditions, that alone might be worth the price.
I've got a good FF/chartplotter with maps, and I got the Navionics on my droid last night after reading this thread. Sweet little app for 9 bucks. Nice to have if you want to do some quick scouting around for your next trip while on the go.

As far as my comment about GPS accuracy, go to your GPS or location settings (in Android it's settings/Location/Calibrate Compass

I also just installed a very nice free app "GPS Status" from Eclipsim.

I've had intermittent problems getting a GPS lock on my device. This tool will show you exactly how many satellites you are receiving, what the margin of error is, and other info. It has its own calibrate routine (again, involves rotating the phone around 3 axes) After I ran this the thing connected to one more satellite so I guess it works(?) Pretty cool main screen to see all the GPS info BTW.
It also has a utility to download some kind of GPS helper data that it says will speed up your GPS for a few days; haven't tried this but assume it's info about the projected location of satellites. Sounds promising...
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote