View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
bigbarrels

[QUOTE=socaldv01;116353]Nice to be able to put a name to the face. I was the friend on the little mini-x. I have a tandem pro that I like to use but so it happens, I wanted the convenience of the little yak and I didn't want to drive. It was easier to just load it into the back of his truck.

He just picked up that bait tank and a 12v timer for the X-Factor at OEX the day before. Previously, he had a 5 gallon bait tank with the discharge hose going off the side. With the new tank, I had told him to drill out the side instead of the back, but he didn't. It was a big discharge hose and he didn't have an elbow so he left it off thinking that it would drain itself through the scupper holes. Unfortunately, he wasn't aware that the water that was being discharged was now entering the hatch where his new bait tank was. At that time, he also didn't have his timer connected yet so the pump was running full speed at 12v.

Been there, done that.....http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...don%27t+happen

A couple years ago, I had a painful conversation with the guys at Malibu kayaks regarding their bait tank set up for the X FActor. I advised him that I bypassed my timer switch while on the water because it was not working and had it running on a 12 volt. He told me that it was only meant to run with a timer switch. So, I said that maybe they should let the consumers know that and maybe put some sort of caution label on the tank. Just thought it would be a simple way to prevent this poorly designed kayak from sinking and possibly killing someone in the future. The X FActor is a great fishing platform but that rear hatch is going to strike again. MAybe they have put a warning out to consumers?

Maybe something like:

This Kayak Will Sink if Run on a 12 Volt Without a Timer Switch

Of course there is always ways to prevent sinking your X FActor. Having a sump pump available and within reach is key. But that wobble of the kayak.....by the time you have that wobble you are probably 1/2 to 3/4 full of water and you better pump fast.....real fast......If I still had that kayak I think I would install one of those automatic, built in bilge pumps.....

glad everyone is OK and again, nice work Greg!!