View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

La jolla Thursday and friday

Going down to La Jolla for the first real fishing trip there, figure this will be my only chance to fish the MLPA areas. I don't have a fish finder or GPS and am still a fishing newb so I wanted to run some things by you guys.

All I've ever caught are mackerel and I'd love to just even pull up rockfish. I have my reel spooled with 30lb spectra and was figurin I'll just do a dropper loop with two hooks on it and pin frozen squid/ shrimp and drop it down to the bottom around promising areas, move every 15 minutes if no bites. Jig a saki for bait while I'm at it.

Never been around the point anywhere in particular I should be looking? I'd love to hook up on a yellowtail of course but I'm probably nowhere bear ready for that.

Recommendations on hooks and line test? Should I get a heavy jig to pin squid two and work that while I soak stuff? Probably wouldn't hurt to do that to even practice casting, I still get my daiwa wavmaster all tangled anytime I try casting it.

Thanks again! Maybe I'll see some of you out there, help will be returned with beer!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote