Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kayakers and tsunami What to do? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9711)

wiredantz 03-18-2011 11:09 AM

Kayakers and tsunami What to do?

Ok your out kayaking in the ocean, quake happens, Radio and alarms of tsunami aproach. What do you do?

walrus 03-18-2011 11:13 AM

fish

onetriphudson 03-18-2011 11:19 AM

If some monster wave was headed for the shore I'd paddle for the deepest water that I knew of. Of course the aftermath would probably be so horrible that you wouldn't have much to come back to. That's if the currents don't take you off to San Nicholas. Better pack some waters and power bars!.

I talked to a guy the other day at West Marine that was around some island chain during the Tsunami that hit India. He said that they were near open water and headed straight into the wave. When the wave reached them it was like sailing up hill but it did not crest. They just got to the top of it and then it was flat. Hours later they were sailing around scooping up people that had been washed off the island. Lots of people were killed. Crazy!

fishsouthcounty 03-18-2011 11:36 AM

id straight Patrick Swayze Point Break that shit.

blitzburgh 03-18-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty (Post 78810)

ROLMFAO!!!!!!:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::haha ha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

onetriphudson 03-18-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Nice. ha ha ah ha ha This comment officially started my weekend!

Jimmyz123 03-18-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetriphudson (Post 78808)
If some monster wave was headed for the shore I'd paddle for the deepest water that I knew of. Of course the aftermath would probably be so horrible that you wouldn't have much to come back to. That's if the currents don't take you off to San Nicholas. Better pack some waters and power bars!.

I talked to a guy the other day at West Marine that was around some island chain during the Tsunami that hit India. He said that they were near open water and headed straight into the wave. When the wave reached them it was like sailing up hill but it did not crest. They just got to the top of it and then it was flat. Hours later they were sailing around scooping up people that had been washed off the island. Lots of people were killed. Crazy!

Anyone who has surfed or knows why a wave breaks knows that the deeper the water the better. The shallower you go the more chance you have for this wave to break. A wave will break when the bottom is half as deep as the water is tall.

Often when you hear a Tsunami is coming many of the military ships will head out to see and rid out the surge. I don't think the surge was big enough for the ships in our harbor to head out.

The last place you want to be when a Tsunami hits is standing on shore. Kiss your sweet A$$ goodbye at that point.

bus kid 03-18-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DZ3cLJ7FGq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yaknewb 03-18-2011 01:02 PM

Ha if your fishing a bay your pretty much SOL right cus there no high ground any were nere you.

tagyak 03-18-2011 01:05 PM

i suggest you PRAY!!!

ratdog 03-18-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagyak (Post 78821)
i suggest you PRAY!!!

Amen.

Jimmyz123 03-18-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratdog (Post 78822)
Amen.

another Amen to praying.

TCS 03-18-2011 02:19 PM

Place your head firmly between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

GregAndrew 03-18-2011 04:35 PM

If you see a Tsunami wave, then it is already too late to do anything other than charge it. If you are in deep enough water, all you will see is a swell that does not go down on the other side for an extended period. Paddle or peddle up and let some more line out.

yellowtailslayer 03-18-2011 04:58 PM

well i would have my wetsuit on and my gun inside my yak, so if i saw it comin id just get in the water and dive down to a rock or kelp stalk and then shoot one of these :yt:. hopefully itll pull my ass out to sea:D

Tman 03-18-2011 07:33 PM

Before the latest string of quake-related tsunamis, I had read a lot about tsunamis, found them fascinating. One of my favorite books is The Ocean Almanac, and always dig just flipping through and reading...

Anyway, back in the days, there is one story that stuck out. June 26th, 1896. An excerpt...

"Local fishermen had put out to sea for their nightly harvest of the deep. Twenty miles offshore, the incoming waves passed unnoticed beneath their keels owing to the insulating depths of the sea. On returning home the following morning, the came upon heaving carpets of debris and corpses floating a short distance offshore. On land they found desolation and destruction"

To the Japanese, tsunami means, literally, harbor wave.

I think I would want to be as far out to sea as possible...and I will always keep a couple yaks in the garage.

And, should my local coastline suddenly recede and expose the bounties of the shoreline, I will not be like the other poor fools who rushed in to take all they could carry...I am going to do what local tribes remember from stories passed down generation upon generation and head for higher ground...

driftwood 03-18-2011 07:58 PM

I would call my wife and tell her not to bother cooking dinner tonight and please take care of my dog. :goodnight: