Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   fishing report San Diego Bay (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9695)

mike m 03-17-2011 08:35 AM

fishing report San Diego Bay

The ocean looked rough so I went to SD bay shelter Island yesterday morning. Strong current until 1P.M.
I used a dropper loop with cut squid targeting Halibut. Caught 4 small Halibut, many mackerel, and many lizard fish.
The biggest Halibut was about 15 inches,so no keepers,but at least I am starting to see them for the first time this year for me.

rogersmith 03-17-2011 10:03 AM

thanks for the report Mike, I'll be out there Sunday am hopefully before the storm rolls in, they are now saying late Sunday.

mtnbykr2 03-17-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogersmith (Post 78699)
thanks for the report Mike, I'll be out there Sunday am hopefully before the storm rolls in, they are now saying late Sunday.

love SI we were down there a couple weeks ago, the flats at the opening on the otherside of the rocks was alive with birds might sneak over to the otherside to check it out weather permitting, good luck out there, hope you are right about the storm this weekend...:reel:

Tinhman 03-17-2011 08:19 PM

nice report, i agree ive been catching many hali's there too, but no keepers yet had a couple 2-3 inch off. Feels like the lizard fishes are taking over this year eh

rogersmith 03-22-2011 11:37 AM

Gave it a go Sunday morning before the winds really picked up but absolutely nothing was biting on the incoming tide off shelter north through the Bali Hai shoal. Tucked in behind the island to fish some docks but nothing there. Well, except for a chunky lizard fish with a suicidal death grip on my plastic...love when they hold on right into the boat with no hook set! White caps building when we came in. Always next weekend....

wms,Jr 03-26-2011 06:56 PM

I haven't been fishing for years, starting up again with my son, been about 30 years since I fished SD Bay. What is a drop rig for halibut and where are the good spots, used to be the helicopter pads.

mtnbykr2 03-26-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wms,Jr (Post 79465)
I haven't been fishing for years, starting up again with my son, been about 30 years since I fished SD Bay. What is a drop rig for halibut and where are the good spots, used to be the helicopter pads.

We were down there a month ago, current rippin...green bouys on the right shy of the mouth, rock fish, go across the street and fish the shallow sand for the butts, have fun, 82 meters from the pylons is great for calico, just keep an eye on the gun boat...:reel:

wms,Jr 03-28-2011 08:15 AM

Dont mean to be a bother but, can you be a little more specific about where the bouys are and pylons and that whole gunboat thing sounds a little like we might be getttin to close to the base huh?

Jimmyz123 03-28-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wms,Jr (Post 79555)
Dont mean to be a bother but, can you be a little more specific about where the bouys are and pylons and that whole gunboat thing sounds a little like we might be getttin to close to the base huh?

If you paddle toward the mouth of the bay. On one side you will have Zuniga Jetty and on the other side the subbase. Just beyond the subbase there are 2 green Channel markers. Depending on which way the current is going I will setup on that first marker and drop to the bottom. In some spots it could be deeper than 40 feet but on average between 30 to 40. You're safe, you won't get shot just try not to get in the way of the boats going in and out.

I have been told that from the markers all the way in toward the beach of the point is great for big butts in there. I have caught my fair share. When I helped for the Wounded Warrior fishing tourney first fish on deck was a legal butt.

It's worth the paddle, but try and do the trip when the tide is going out and coming in on the way back. It will make for a better day.