Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Calcutta Re-wrap project (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9631)

T Bone 03-09-2011 09:43 AM

Calcutta Re-wrap project

5 Attachment(s)
I have an Old Calcutta(Cane-not Shimano) rod that belonged to my Grandfather.It has sat in the rod rack for a few years,just keeping it around for nostalgia.It was pretty beat,only 2 out of 10 guides were there,the others were gone with the original cotton thread and varnish becoming very brittle.The tip and handle however are in good shape.Good thing too because I dont think I would be able to come up with a replacement tip very easily look how fat that thing is.This rod is 9' and has a suprisingly good action for an organic rod.It feels a lot like my 90J.Guide spacing is very interesting,each guide goes over the "knuckle" where the cane is divided in sections.interestingly it works out perfectly.towards the butt they are further spaced and closer as you get towards the tip(God designed these things to be fishing rods)
I have a hodge podge of wrapping stuff.I have not wrapped a rod since 2006.I wrapped that rod for Alijos and was one of the rods I lost in the surf last year(Arrgggh!).I have lots of thread but couldnt come up with a complete set of guides that matched so I am going Chrome-black-chrome-black perfections leaving the OG tip which is 1/2 thick.Wraps are going to be black/white/Chrome.I am going to finish it off with a butt wrap with my Grandpa's Initials.
My grandfather loved to fish.He of course got my father into fishing and in turn my brother and I.My grandfather has fished the polaris with Bill Poole and somewhere there are pics with him and piles of albies on deck.Maybe this rod was fished on one of those trips I dont know.Apparently Guys used cane rods fairly often even into the early sixties where fiberglass eventually won out for obvious reasons.I plan on hanging a few fish on this one.

tagyak 03-09-2011 10:13 AM

that seems like a nice sentiment for this rod being, since it belonged to your granddad. i am sure that it will turn out nice. cool idea about putting his initials into the wrap.
one question, do these cane rods dry out and get brittle over the years or can you still use them and not worry about the strength?

onetriphudson 03-09-2011 10:28 AM

Thats an awesome plan!

I like new stuff and seeing technology get better, but there is nothing like fixing up an old car or fishing reel and putting it to use! Especially since your grandfather caught fish on that thing.

Last year I bought an old used Penn 501 on a 20# cork wrapped stick, with a wing nut clamp. The guy who owned it before apparently loved fishing but had passed away. Didn't even change the line and took it fishing the next day. Caught a 35# seabass and it took me an hour and a half to fight it out of the kelp. Not bad for $50!

tagyak 03-09-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetriphudson (Post 78102)
Thats an awesome plan!

The guy who owned it before apparently loved fishing but had passed away. Didn't even change the line and took it fishing the next day. Caught a 35# seabass and it took me an hour and a half to fight it out of the kelp. Not bad for $50!

now that's what i call lots of MOJO :biggrinjester:

T Bone 03-09-2011 10:42 AM

The reel was not on it.Dont know what happened to it.There were clamps,VERY cool brass ones.I am just going to put a sealine 40 on it and not worry about the reel part.
As for the Initials or name.It wont be a weave or anything.Just paint marker between coats of flex wrap.

T Bone 03-09-2011 10:49 AM

The reel was not on it.Dont know what happened to it.There were clamps,VERY cool brass ones.I am just going to put a sealine 40 on it and not worry about the reel part.
As for the Initials or name.It wont be a weave or anything.Just paint marker between coats of flex wrap.

T Bone 03-09-2011 11:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These clamps are pretty cool.I gave them a second look,hit em with steel wool and it turns out they are made By Perfection.

Hunters Pa 03-09-2011 11:26 AM

You'd be surprised the diameter of tip eyes available.

I have an extra set of old barrel guides if you are interested. i'm working on a bamboo project myself, but it looks like we will be moving soon so it's gonna have to wait

when we do move I'll be looking to have some work done on the new place. I know a new set of front doors is in order, so I'll keep you in mind.

T Bone 03-09-2011 12:02 PM

The largest boat rod top in the mud hole catalog is about half the diameter of this thing.The tip is in good shape anyways.Thanks for the info though.I am not going for a perfect restoration.I am hot rodding it a little so I am set with guides.

Let me Know when you are ready for the doors.Ill give you the BWE discount...

dmrides 03-09-2011 12:16 PM

That is beyond cool. I am sure your granddad is smiling on you right now and will be even more so when you haul in a big ol' mossback with his rod.

dfroggy54 03-09-2011 06:07 PM

thats awesome, that blank is super flush. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

fishsouthcounty 03-09-2011 07:06 PM

Very cool T-bone. Always cool to see old school gear brought back to life. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

newguy01 03-09-2011 08:31 PM

rod

look at it this way if that rod fell in the water it will float cool rod thanks for sharing

T Bone 03-12-2011 06:51 AM

The rod will float,but once I put a reel on it it will just sink slower than others.