Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   pad eye (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9272)

sasha 01-28-2011 12:12 PM

pad eye

When you guys install the nylon pad eyes what type of bolts or screws do you use?? It seems that most are using the self tapping screws but it just dont seem strong enough for me. Does any one has any problems with it?? Or should i stick to using bolts with washers on the bottom?? I want it done right the first time.

Sasha

dsafety 01-28-2011 12:24 PM

OEX stocks a very good, (although expensive), plastic pop rivet. It works very well and should be stronger than any screws. You could also use stainless bolts and nuts which can found at Home Depot or most other hardware stores. OEX probably has those as well.

Bob

Jimmyz123 01-28-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasha (Post 74288)
When you guys install the nylon pad eyes what type of bolts or screws do you use?? It seems that most are using the self tapping screws but it just dont seem strong enough for me. Does any one has any problems with it?? Or should i stick to using bolts with washers on the bottom?? I want it done right the first time.

Sasha

Most people use the Pop rivets and I think that is your best way to secure them. If you are not going to be puttle a lot of stress on those then the screws will work fine. I have used screws but when I do I put a glob of Marine Goop on the screw just before it get all the way down. This will spread the goop around and seal the hole. OEX has bags of them for 7.99, I was just there today and saw those.

wiseguy 01-28-2011 12:55 PM

I use the ss screws with a dab of goop as well and have never had any problems with a pad eye.:)

Jimmyz123 01-28-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiseguy (Post 74296)
I use the ss screws with a dab of goop as well and have never had any problems with a pad eye.:)

The last time I did this I relized that there was no way the screws would have popped out. The goop forms a nice bond, and seal and is pretty strong. The nice thing about using the SS screws if if you want to move the item you can easily do so. However then you need to patch those holes.

sasha 01-28-2011 01:13 PM

Thanks guys.. Just looking at the screws and the thin plastic of the kayak. It just dont feel sturdy to me. But i guess the goop makes the diffrence. Maybe for the rods i would use the screws. But have a couple of them with bolts in case i want something that would put more strain.

Sasha

Iceman 01-28-2011 01:34 PM

The rivets OEX carries are actually aircraft grade aluminum, very strong, durable and hold up well to corrosion.

Regor 01-28-2011 01:39 PM

You want a little more strength - Add a washer to the back side, either normal or fender washer.

tagyak 01-28-2011 01:41 PM

almost a ROOKIE mistake

when i added some pad eyes to my yak i used ss bolts, washer, and locking nuts from marine west. i also used marine goop.

but i do have to say that it took all my length to get my hands and arms to reach that last 1/4 " to put that bolt and washer on. it gives me nightmares still today. so if you go this route MAKE SURE you can reach into that one spot in the yak or you are going to be swearing a storm.

on the other hand if you go with ice-mans suggestion, it wouldn't be a bad idea either. after all he does do this for a living and quite good at it too.

Jimmyz123 01-28-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 74302)
The rivets OEX carries are actually aircraft grade aluminum, very strong, durable and hold up well to corrosion.

If you are worried about the strength go with the Rivets and you will not worry at all anymore. I like the rivets for 99.9% of the installations, but on the one time that I did use the screws it worked well and was strong enough. Again if you are worried, then use the rivets.

WahooUSMA 01-28-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 74302)

X-2

sasha 01-29-2011 06:45 PM

Well been thinking about it and dicided to go with the bolts for one reason that they are easier to take out if i want to change something. So off to order the bolts then. Thanks guys...

T-Rex 02-01-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasha (Post 74374)
Well been thinking about it and dicided to go with the bolts for one reason that they are easier to take out if i want to change something. So off to order the bolts then. Thanks guys...

Pad eyes are not normally something you would move or change, unless you don't mind repairing the holes. I'd go with the pop rivets, but if you decide to use ss bolts, be sure they are marine grade stainless. Lower grade ss from lowes or home depot will rust over time. Nylock nuts will also work better than lock washers.