Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Pro Angler (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=7747)

WahooUSMA 07-01-2010 01:31 PM

Pro Angler

Just picked up the new Pro Angler. Any words of wisdom? I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. Would like any advice on landing i.e., rudder up, etc. I was told the rudder does not lock down like the Revo's do therefore you can steer it in without the paddle.

Web cam looks like med size surf.

Oolie 07-01-2010 02:10 PM

i've landed with my rudder down, just jump out in a few feet of water and flip it up.

i'm in a revo btw.

remember that it's a larger boat, so it should be more difficult if waves hit the bow, so get a couple practice launch and landings first before doing it with gear.

i'll be down there in a couple hours.

and actually i use the pedals to land as of late.

sandydiego 07-01-2010 02:11 PM

It's been a crap shoot for me. The next time I come in I will leave the rudder down and peddle in as far as possible, then use the paddle to finish the landing. It flipped on me the last run in. Previously I came in fast and hard, then pulled the PA back out to remove the drive. I just really need more seat time to dial in my landing. Are you headed out tomorrow PM?

cross580 07-01-2010 05:39 PM

Launching:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I purchased my PA in April, launched LJ 1st time in June three days in a row. I waded out till I was deep enough to mount the drive, paced the sets, jumped in with t-handle paddle. I dropped the rudder, and pushed thru the waves with the Mirage drive only. It was small, biggest day might have been 2ft. I made i through the surf fine all 3 days. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I had the front insert in each time, all three times I took on a bit of water. I left a small towl in the bottom of the insert; it absorbed the water vice soaking into my fish bag and other kit. The first 2 days I crossed the bungees hoping for a tighter seal. The 3rd day was the wettest and I close the front hatch normally, I took on less water. <o:p></o:p>
I am looking for a thicker seal to prevent the water from coming in next time. <o:p></o:p>
Landing:<o:p></o:p>
The first two days the surf was very small. Peddled in on the back of a small wave, rudder down, drive in, t-handle paddle in hand. I picked up momentum and pulled in the drive, steered in with the rudder, kept the paddle in hand but didn’t use it. I stood up in knee deep water, no issues.<o:p></o:p>
The last day the surf was small but larger. I did the same drill, but lost momentum and turned left. I put my foot down in about waist deep water and stood up, otherwise I would have probably went over.<o:p></o:p>
Findings:<o:p></o:p>
-The front hatch takes on water. So will the hatch with the cutting board. I will upgrade the seal and look for more improvements.<o:p></o:p>
-The half paddle with t-handle is convenient to store and push out of kelp but it wont do you much good landing in surf over 2 ft. <o:p></o:p>
-The full paddle would have helped more but I stored the other have inside the boat under the insert. If you keep the paddle out from launch, I would install something to strap it to the boat. I prefer less junk on the boat, but it will cost me a wetter landing. There was a potential for hyper extending the knee too. I guess for larger surf I could get out and push the boat from behind. As far as storage and stability, you could take a tv with you and stay dry all day until you land.<o:p></o:p>
-I have the upgrade wheels on the cart, black rubber, air inflated. I blew a tire on the second days launch. Its amazing how heavy everything is completely loaded. I believed it happened as I was pulling the boat in the water at a slight angle and broke the bead. The tire would not hold air after that.<o:p></o:p>

lterrero 07-01-2010 06:07 PM

Good Luck! surf is a little big & don't forget to secure all your Gear.

blitzburgh 07-01-2010 07:49 PM

No advice on the launch/landing as I have not done that yet. What I can tell you though is, the trax 2 cart is a must! I found that out the hard way. I have the trax 2 hd cart and it does me well. No problems so far. Please let us know how your trip goes! I am eager to follow soon.:luxhello:

premo 07-01-2010 08:13 PM

Roger, wait for me I want videotape your double salto.:D