Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   fish game clip question (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=7698)

SDTribal 06-27-2010 02:40 PM

fish game clip question

do you just hang it over the kayak? or do you just set it in your lap. I am worried a seal or a shark will take a bite out of my dinner :confused:

467echo 06-27-2010 02:59 PM

wherever you have room on you yak, don't let the dogs get it. Put the game clip on the tie it to something.

GregAndrew 06-27-2010 03:42 PM

I think most people are only leaving it on the clip and in the water long enough to bleed the fish, and only when there are no dogs in the vicinity. Carry a trash bag with you if you are gonna put it in your hull. The dogs can do more than steal your dinner, they have flipped more than 1 yakker by grabbing a clipped fish. I think it is reason number 79 on why to have all your chit strapped down or clipped.

SDTribal 06-27-2010 08:25 PM

oh wow that would suck, where do you cut the fish to bleed it? and do you put ice or anything in the trash bag when you store it? thanls

Oolie 06-27-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDTribal (Post 59917)
oh wow that would suck, where do you cut the fish to bleed it? and do you put ice or anything in the trash bag when you store it? thanls

gotta cut the gills.

do not put your hand in WSB gills.

Siebler 06-27-2010 08:43 PM

I cut at the most forward end of the collar to sever the main artery and bleed the fish out as much as possible. While working on sportboats I pulled gills, cut gills and cut like I do and gill pulling/cutting doesnt even compare.

GregAndrew 06-28-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebler (Post 59922)
I cut at the most forward end of the collar to sever the main artery and bleed the fish out as much as possible. While working on sportboats I pulled gills, cut gills and cut like I do and gill pulling/cutting doesnt even compare.

Need to do a couple of videos for the different fish types :luxhello:.

I wouldn't suggest that you carry ice in your kayak unless it is gonna be there anyway (beer cooler). If you think you are gonna want to stay out more than a couple hours after catching something worth bleeding, you might want to consider an insulated game bag.

bigbarrels 06-28-2010 11:05 PM

The biggest shark on the water that I have seen to date in La Jolla was when I forgot my game bag and had two fish over the side on a game clip.......last summer in the afternoon and about 20 yards away.....7-8 feet between the dorasl and caudal fin......sorry no pics.....don't reccommend it unless you need some excitement in your life:)