Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Making bait... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=6996)

THE DARKHORSE 03-27-2010 12:03 PM

Making bait...

I took a quick trip out of the bushes to make some bait and was quickly reminded why we bring five rods on a kayak. To stay focused on the current treasures of the kelp, I've been bringing minimal gear (two spectra set-ups and a bait rod). Well, bringing minimal gear definitely helps one stick with a plan, but that feeling of not being prepared is something I've learned to avoid.

I made a decision years ago that I'd never launch without a jig-stick...no matter the season ;). And yesterday I got caught with my pants down. It sucked! While making bait I ran up on a free-swimming school of Yellowtail. They were just cruising in the clear blue water, easily visible, even if you absolutely suck at sight fishing.

The first school passed like a flagellant in the wind, but I quickly tied on a surface-iron to one of my spectra set-ups. Absolutely not the right stick for casting a surface-iron, a seven foot Calstar with spectra, to a swivel with a long leader then my iron. My casting range was less than a fifth of my jig-stick...

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall.../Sick_day_.jpg
I guess once in a blue moon, that's far enough.

deepdvr 03-27-2010 12:12 PM

Lucky bastard

Rob929 03-27-2010 01:22 PM

Nice YT

I don't think lucky is the right word when it comes to Josh catching fish..

I know that school would have passed me by with smirks on their faces. I have a hard enough time casting iron with my jig stick, let alone on a 7 ft rod with spectra and a long leader. That's where the skills come into play..:luxhello:

driftwood 03-27-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob929 (Post 53973)

I know that school would have passed me by with smirks on their faces. I have a hard enough time casting iron with my jig stick, let alone on a 7 ft rod with spectra and a long leader. That's where the skills come into play..:luxhello:

I agree, I have been practicing casting my 8ft rod from my kayak for the the last 5 years and I do ok. every time Josh cast my jig stick it goes flying almost out of site without a trace of bird nest. And don't know how he does it, but that dude can flat out blast the cast!

kurt 03-27-2010 02:27 PM

So did you get any bait?

fishes 03-27-2010 03:21 PM

I read through before scrolling down and literally muttered, "I hate this guy" because I knew the story was going to be accompanied with a picture of something special.

Good going, man. (I don't really hate you.)

Cactus 03-27-2010 04:21 PM

Bien hecho Josh!

bigbarrels 03-27-2010 05:13 PM

nice!:)

j mo 03-27-2010 06:21 PM

Two of my favorite colours "California gold" and yellow......

dmrides 03-27-2010 07:20 PM

Way to make the most of what you got with you.

"If you don't have it, you don't need it."
-Ray Jardine

Pescavore1 03-27-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE (Post 53971)
My casting range was less than a fifth of my jig-stick....

Hey, that's just about my casting range with my jig stick. You mean even I caught of caught that?

erinoo 03-27-2010 07:54 PM

Got use what ya got sometimes to get the job done. Had one of my "clients" killed with a pork chop bone, cuz thats all the other one had..:eek: Way to get er done Bubba..

hobieuser 03-27-2010 08:09 PM

After you made baits...yellows...and then what happened?:bigear:

fishinkid2010 03-27-2010 08:20 PM

You're killing me! Chunkin' surface irons with a seven footer and still catching a yellow! Nice!

TCS 03-27-2010 08:31 PM

Learning how to fish with the surface iron is my goal for the spring. 1. when to throw, 2. what to throw, 3. what to throw it with (need an economy set up) 4. how to retrieve so that the fish wants to hit it.

I figure once I figure that all out I'll be almost as good as darkhorse with one hand tied behind his back. Whatever, we can't all be rockstars.

Nice catch!

blitzburgh 03-28-2010 07:24 AM

Dude! Nice!:luxhello:

-scallywag- 03-28-2010 07:28 AM

SWEAT!!! that looks like a healthy fish, clean water and tons of bait over seem to give these guys shark-like power...i bet she was a handfull

so what are you guys doing this afternoon??:reel:

i saw the same scenerio yesterday evening...lotsa bait and large schools of quality fish, except I was the guy with five poles...well actually 4 cause i wasn't targeting seabass....

NICE FISH!!!

Sherm 03-28-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob929 (Post 53973)

Skill and a boat load of practice. I bet you Josh has well over a couple million casts under his belt. When you do domething often enough you get very good at it. Like his ability to spot fish. I've been on the water a lot and Josh can spot fish better than anyone i've met.

Yakking101 03-28-2010 08:27 AM

Awesome!!! I bet you wont be forgetting that jigstick for awhile!

THE DARKHORSE 03-28-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt (Post 53975)
So did you get any bait?

Surprisingly enough, bait has been the most challenging part of the day lately. I guess it depends on what type of bait you're looking for. I managed about five more pieces before I returned to the kelp.