Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   choosing a kayak for a big man 330 lbs 6"3" (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=6386)

THE CALI HOOKUP! 12-05-2009 11:00 PM

choosing a kayak for a big man 330 lbs 6"3"

Hello fellow kayak fishermen,

I am looking to join the sport in the next couple of months and i need a kayak that can support my weight, and are comfterable to fish on. any suggestions will be appreciated. I have my eye on hobie pro angler pretty exspensive though.

please give me feedback

Siebler 12-05-2009 11:08 PM

If I were you I would take advantage of the 650.00 Xfactor deal OEX Mission Bay has right now. This is the perfect big guy boat and a price that wont last.

Other the the Xfactor look at the Stealth 14 and Ride 135

THE CALI HOOKUP! 12-07-2009 03:00 AM

have you seen the ambush kayak by old town

Iam a reel big guy offensive line matirial. i need a kayak i cant flip. I have been looking at the hobie pa but to pricey and the ambush kayak, but for some reason it doesnt feel like a kayak no more with a trolling motor hooked up to it.

Jim Sammons LJKF 12-07-2009 06:08 AM

Yeah the Ambush was formally made by Ocean Kayak and it really is more like a small boat then a kayak and the weight is 100 pounds, a real beast.
I have plenty of guys out fishing with me at your size in an Ocean Kayak Big Game and they all seemed quit comfortable in it. And it costs half that of a Hobie PA. Give them all a try if you can to see which you feel the most comfortable in.

dsafety 12-07-2009 07:14 AM

I can't comment on which boat will support a big guy best but I can tell you that for fishing, the hands-free feature that the Hobies bring to the party is hard to beat. Sure they cost quite a bit more than most of the paddle kayaks but if your primary interest is fishing, especially in the ocean, it may be worth the investment.

Bob

Jim Sammons LJKF 12-07-2009 07:32 AM

Oh by the way, there is no such thing as a kayak you can't flip, at some point or another people manage to flip them all. :eek:
I have seen people flip the widest most stable boats on the market on days that are grease flat calm without a ripple on the water.
The learning curve is short though and with a little time on the water kayaks that felt tippy at first will start to feel real stable. Just start out slow, on flat water, bays or lakes, until you get a real good feel for what you can and can not do on your boat.
Taking a guided class will also help shorten the learning curve.:D

Jimm H 12-07-2009 08:06 AM

In my opinion...

Jim Sammons is correct in that all kayaks can be flipped. You will find this especially true in the surf, but typically not elsewhere if you use proper technique.

As for actual boat suggestions, the narrower/faster boats will be much more unconfortable for you. That elimintates most of the models on the market, except -
Cobra Triple (a friend of mine your size paddle one of these) Really BIG boat... hard to handle by yourself on shore/load in vehicle

Cobra FishNDive- owned one. slow, but really stable, supports 650 lbs. Tracks to right when not paddling

Malibu X-Factor - like an improved FND. Malibu kayaks are heavy
Ocean Kayaks Drifter- prepare to sit in water in most OK boats... the seat in below the water line and the sea water enters thru the scuppers... needs scupper plugs

Hobie Mirage ProAngler - Peddle-Powered, big and comfortable, but a real PIG (I think it weighs 90 lbs empty.)

GO PADDLE/PEDDLE some boats first.

Good Luck.

Jimm H.

Jim Sammons LJKF 12-07-2009 09:05 AM

Not many of the Drifters out there nowadays Jimm. The Big Game is a better big guy boat and is a dry ride. The Drifter was closer to a bath tub:D

Gino 12-07-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF (Post 48136)
Yeah the Ambush was formally made by Ocean Kayak and it really is more like a small boat then a kayak and the weight is 100 pounds, a real beast.
I have plenty of guys out fishing with me at your size in an Ocean Kayak Big Game and they all seemed quit comfortable in it. And it costs half that of a Hobie PA. Give them all a try if you can to see which you feel the most comfortable in.

Im a big guy just like yourself Cali Hookup, Get into a Big Game Like Jim Sammons says, Youll like it, it turns much easier than some of the other heavy weight kayaks.

dgax65 12-07-2009 10:09 AM

The X-Factor is the longest of all the 'big man' kayaks. It may not turn quite as fast as one of the shorter kayaks, but it is faster and tracks better. As I don't run slalom courses that often, I prefer the X-Factor. If you install a rudder kit you'll be able to turn it even better.

Pat 12-07-2009 10:24 AM

Don't bag on the Drifter :the_finger:
Came with a built in bait tank :D

I'm 6'6'' 260# and the OK Big Game and Malibu X-Factor are the most comfortable for me and very stable.

MalibuJohnny 12-07-2009 02:49 PM

Malibu X Factor

Before my X Factor... I had this
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=460&h=400

Much better in the X Factor...Got mine from OEX Sunset!

dgax65 12-08-2009 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat (Post 48149)
Don't bag on the Drifter :the_finger:
Came with a built in bait tank :D

Yeah. Drifters were great for that. The macs didn't seem to mind sharing the bathtub.

rogersmith 12-08-2009 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Im around your size and love my Prowler Big Game.

THE CALI HOOKUP! 01-14-2010 01:29 AM

thank to Gino I made a decision to fish the big game and iam extreamly happy with my choice