Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Goodbye sunshine...it can't last forever. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=4435)

THE DARKHORSE 01-20-2009 10:17 PM

Goodbye sunshine...it can't last forever.

With our first cloud cover in almost two weeks, and the barometer starting to fall, I thought I would sneak out before the rain. Today had a different feel in the air, significantly cooler than days prior, and just a couple of anglers on the water. It might be the perfect sunny days without a cloud in the sky, no wind sheet glass conditions, ankle slapping surf at the launch, migrating whales with packs of rental kayaks in tow, or the fact that everyone is waiting for that winter squid bite to start. I think everyone on the water could tell you that the squid haven't moved in yet, and the fishing has been on the slow side (slow winter fishing). That wide open fishing we all anticipate with every passing full moon is taunting newbies and veterans alike. We all try to predict these fishing phenomenons, with varying levels of success, but month long summer squid bites should give us a good idea of what we actually know, not as much as we think.

I've seen quite a few new faces on the water lately, and it seems like summer has come early this year, or never left depending on how you look at it. New blood is good for the sport, guys catching that first trophy they will remember for the rest of their lives, and the whole addiction of beating your personal best. The biggest advantage these guys have is they appreciate their new experiences like some of us once did, from the days of finally catching quality bait to offer our target species, not flipping in the surf, to a nice assortment of rockfish for the family. I honestly enjoy watching another angler land that fish they have pursued for so long more than catching another one for myself, thus the career choice. That pride in their face, looking down on a fish with the emotion of a new addition to the family, as if they just gave birth.

Above all, enjoy every second you get on the water, there are few guarantees in life and some say "a bad day fishing is still better than a great day at work". The easy summer fishing with giant schools of rat Yellowtail, Bonita, and Barricuda will come sooner than you think, and before you know it trying to find a parking spot might take a while. Sure the water's freezing, it might be raining, the fishing's slow, but I can't think of another thing I'd rather be doing.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...500/022_1_.JPG
Even during the middle of slow winter fishing...I hold my rod like something might rip it out of my hands.

gary sullivan 01-20-2009 10:55 PM

Josh, well said !

dorado50 01-21-2009 04:30 AM

Nice photograph! Big fish,good times...........

screaming reel 01-21-2009 05:22 AM

Nice fish, but if you think that catching a yellowtail rivals watching a child be born, you are all wrong. Watching a baby be born is better than any yellowtail!

j mo 01-21-2009 05:42 AM

Well done- AGAIN! :eek:

PS- Are you giving us all the bird holding that fish or is that my imagination?

premo 01-21-2009 05:55 AM

Is this middle finger on a purpose there Josh? :D, Or thats the way you hold the fish?
:you_rock:

Hanapa'a 01-21-2009 05:56 AM

nice right up josh...

And to screaming reel. Joys of fishing and landing a fish are more then great.
We all know the miracle of birth. So keep stupid to yourself.

Dan 01-21-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanapa'a (Post 33016)
So keep stupid to yourself.

eaassyy.

killer fish!

Matt 01-21-2009 06:41 AM

Nice job buddy, I had a feeling I would see a post like this one...

forefrazier 01-21-2009 06:50 AM

Nice looking fish Josh and good write up! Hits home with me since I have not yet had the opportunity to catch my first :yt: from the yak.

Witnessing the "miracle of birth" might indeed be better than catching YT but then I would have to stay home and change diapers. :eek:

467echo 01-21-2009 07:08 AM

I have been there for a child birth, I don't think the my first YT will top it. But I'll just have to judge for myself! Hopefully I can judge sooner than later.:cheers1: Good job on the:reel::you_rock:!

Willy 01-21-2009 07:32 AM

Nice piece Josh.
Well written, I see sports writer/ guide in your future.
Fellas, don't let the point be lost, the baby giving birth was just an analogy. It wasn't meant literally.
Maybe even a metaphor, if the ocean is like your bride and she births a beautiful baby like that yellow the 'proud father' is holding in that pic.
Nice post, thanks Josh.
Willy

MalibuJohnny 01-21-2009 07:45 AM

A bit to thick for me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by screaming reel (Post 33013)
Nice fish, but if you think that catching a yellowtail rivals watching a child be born, you are all wrong. Watching a baby be born is better than any yellowtail!

Man I thought this was a sight about fishing…this sounds like a romantic relationship with fish. Testosterone, fisherman battles with the “Big one”…and the fun of it all! Thats what I want to read…Man you should a’ seen the one that got away, stuff. ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
Sorry…I had to say it. (I will now wait for the stones) :confused:<O:p></O:p>

Geoffkoop 01-21-2009 08:30 AM

Very nice fish and story. I experienced the child birth stuff 6 months ago. Ill let you know whats better once i catch a :yt:. And yes, all days on the water are better than the office!

bigbarrels 01-21-2009 08:46 AM

nice one Josh! I'm on a 4 year plan for babies and I hope to catch a YT before that time....then I could compare the experiences:)

KennyHill 01-21-2009 09:00 AM

I was soooooo close!!! haha. nice fish!

yakrider 01-21-2009 10:13 AM

I'm waitng patiently for the
birth of my :yt:

Quilted Germ 01-21-2009 11:39 AM

Nice job....was that on the Megabait or the iron. Wait don't tell me, you fashioned something a la MacGyver because using an iron was getting old...

j mo 01-21-2009 12:46 PM

Quilted Germ,

I would expect nothing less. That was the most interesting question posed by the most intersting of all yakers....

Yakers want to know - Long Rod or deep?

dorado50 01-21-2009 12:52 PM

Must of been birth'd from same mother!! :jig:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5...yt09006qw6.jpg