Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I need advice on buying New Kayak!! help! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35059)

BigJimbo 04-17-2020 12:29 PM

I need advice on buying New Kayak!! help!

I am buying a used 14’ 2014 Hobie Pro Angler Kayak tomorrow.
Wondering if paying $2000 for it is a good deal or not?
Ive been using a 2004 hobie outback suv and finally sold so I can upgrade.
The pro angler comes with sand wheels and lowrance hook 5 fish finder.
Is it a good deal for $2000?

JohnMckroidJr 04-17-2020 04:47 PM

A good deal is a relative thing. If you have compared it to the listings on Craigslist, Offerup, Pennysaver, Recycler, FB marketplace, or whatever the local selling forum is, then that will give you a good idea. In Sth Florida, that would be a great deal if the equipment is in good condition. Is the kayak badly faded from being left out in the sun? Does the Fishfinder work? Are there any cracks or deep grooves in the hull? Are the cables on the mirage drive rusty? Do the latch springs for the mirage click crisply? Is the fabric on the seat badly faded or holed? Repair parts are expensive and if too many things are in poor condition, It might be better off to pay a little more for one slightly newer.

BigJimbo 04-17-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 305980)
A good deal is a relative thing. If you have compared it to the listings on Craigslist, Offerup, Pennysaver, Recycler, FB marketplace, or whatever the local selling forum is, then that will give you a good idea. In Sth Florida, that would be a great deal if the equipment is in good condition. Is the kayak badly faded from being left out in the sun? Does the Fishfinder work? Are there any cracks or deep grooves in the hull? Are the cables on the mirage drive rusty? Do the latch springs for the mirage click crisply? Is the fabric on the seat badly faded or holed? Repair parts are expensive and if too many things are in poor condition, It might be better off to pay a little more for one slightly newer.

The yak has been taken care of really nicely. almost perfect.
I just dont know what the market price is for used kayaks.

As the last yak I bought was a 2004.

JohnMckroidJr 04-17-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJimbo (Post 305981)
The yak has been taken care of really nicely. almost perfect.
I just dont know what the market price is for used kayaks.

As the last yak I bought was a 2004.

Sounds like your due for a new kayak. Check your local listings, and then pull the trigger before it's sold. Good luck!

BigJimbo 04-18-2020 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 305984)
Sounds like your due for a new kayak. Check your local listings, and then pull the trigger before it's sold. Good luck!

should i pull the plug on the 2014 pro angler 14 for $2000?

TJones 04-18-2020 09:30 AM

grab it

you aint gonna find a better deal. JMO. if not, im gonna jump on it. :D. either that, spend about 7 k and get everything new. 230 wheels, bait tank, hds 7, some Hobie leashes and maybe a rod holder or extension.

BigJimbo 04-18-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 305997)
you aint gonna find a better deal. JMO. if not, im gonna jump on it. :D. either that, spend about 7 k and get everything new. 230 wheels, bait tank, hds 7, some Hobie leashes and maybe a rod holder or extension.

hehe. will do sir!
picking it up today! will update you!

YakDout 04-18-2020 04:54 PM

That’s a smokin deal! One other is exactly double the price on bwe right now. Few years newer but 180 drive ain’t worth 2 g’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJones 04-18-2020 07:22 PM

craiglist

guy asking 2500$. probably same guy? enjoy your ride. hope to see you guys on water soon. :D

BigJimbo 04-19-2020 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 306009)
guy asking 2500$. probably same guy? enjoy your ride. hope to see you guys on water soon. :D

I dont know but I pulled the trigger and went for the yak!
thing was super heavy and bent my cross bars.
I should probably invest in a yak trailer but that means installing a tow hitch.
and wiring.

TJones 04-19-2020 09:11 AM

Saba Slayer

don't wait. he has one for sale. its a steal. I would grab it, but I got a harbor freight throw away trailer that I invested over 500$. I added extra lighting, wood, paint, carpet and hardware to mount wood. I think I spent just as much on my materials as I did on the trailer with coupon. i am kinda surprised it hasn't sold yet. asking price 200$. if he was located in SD, it would have sold by now.

NICKWORN 04-19-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 306006)
That’s a smokin deal! One other is exactly double the price on bwe right now. Few years newer but 180 drive ain’t worth 2 g’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure you leaving quite a bit of accessories if your knocking my boys 2017 PA price. This yak is bare bones with a $200 FF.

2k is still a good deal.