Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Marking Lobster Buoys (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30064)

DPevin 10-01-2016 11:08 AM

Marking Lobster Buoys

Hey, sorry if this is repetitive, I tried the search feature and couldn't quite find what I was after.

This would be in regards to fishing out of Dana, but I suppose is universal to any spot.

So without a fishfinder/gps we have just been finding structure/fish and dropping and saving pins on our phones. It has been working alright for us so far.

I'm familiar with what the hoop net Buoys look like for lobstering. We were thinking of heading out and trying to mark some to find new spots. My question I guess is, would there be some sort of etiquette? Like not getting to close to the buoy or whatnot? Obviously I'm not going to be messing with anyone's gear. But don't want someone else thinking we are. I suppose everything would be fine, but just wondering if any of you have had any experiences marking the Buoys and had anything happen that we could learn from.

Thanks

DanaPT 10-01-2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPevin (Post 269917)
Hey, sorry if this is repetitive, I tried the search feature and couldn't quite find what I was after.

This would be in regards to fishing out of Dana, but I suppose is universal to any spot.

So without a fishfinder/gps we have just been finding structure/fish and dropping and saving pins on our phones. It has been working alright for us so far.

I'm familiar with what the hoop net Buoys look like for lobstering. We were thinking of heading out and trying to mark some to find new spots. My question I guess is, would there be some sort of etiquette? Like not getting to close to the buoy or whatnot? Obviously I'm not going to be messing with anyone's gear. But don't want someone else thinking we are. I suppose everything would be fine, but just wondering if any of you have had any experiences marking the Buoys and had anything happen that we could learn from.

Thanks

It would be irresponsible for you to ignore them. Watch out for the commercial guys they have no problems speeding up to their spot. If your near their pots, they seem to care very little about sending a wake your way.

For sure you'll see the pipe and other reefs next week with markers from the commercial guys.

DPevin 10-01-2016 12:41 PM

Right on, thanks for the heads up about the commercial guys. I'll make sure to keep everything leashed up and stowed away well incase anyone decides to mess with us.

Yeah, I had read previous threads with people sayield get to mark the lobster pots. Been looking forward to the season to get some new direction. Fish finder/gps is on top of the long list of things for the yak....but new twins and a wife not working has pumped the brakes on a lot of fishing aspirations hah.

alanw 10-01-2016 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Definitely mark the buoys for future use. I marked a few new ones this afternoon at Dana and found one holding this Sheephead who did his best to wrap up in the buoy line, but I won. 23" and 5-1/2 lbs.
Attachment 20209

DPevin 10-02-2016 12:35 PM

Thanks Alan. Sweet Sheepshead! Still have never caught one. The guy upstairs spearfishes and they make great tacos that's for sure.

Surfed strands today and man, there are so many Buoys out there. Going to have to make a whole day just paddling around marking hah. Make a mack and troll it from spot to spot, but going to take me awhile paddling from doho/capo marking and all the way up the headlands and over to strands. Maybe have to make a second trip to hit Creek too.

Thanks again for the tips guys. Hope to see some of you out there. If you see a couple kooks on cheap camo field and stream kayaks say hi.

Mahigeer 10-03-2016 02:29 PM

I am not sure (clear) if the OP kept the sheephead caught via net.

Same as lobster caught by hook is an illegal catch, so is fish caught in hoop net.

Any fish caught in hoop net has to be released.

Only square 36"X36" (approximately) nets used for purpose of catching bait are allowed.

alanw 10-03-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 269999)
I am not sure (clear) if the OP kept the sheephead caught via net.

Same as lobster caught by hook is an illegal catch, so is fish caught in hoop net.

Any fish caught in hoop net has to be released.

Only square 36"X36" (approximately) nets used for purpose of catching bait are allowed.

Negative. It was caught on hook and line. I dropped a line down on the structure while I was there marking buoys and he wrapped me up in the other guys buoy rope.

Mahigeer 10-03-2016 09:23 PM

Thanks for clarification.

Enjoy the sheephead.