Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New to the area... Looking for a vessel! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28918)

Sir g neville 04-26-2016 12:05 PM

New to the area... Looking for a vessel!

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I moved recently to Orange County, CA from the UK. I just sold my kayak back home and I'm looking to get out on the water mainly in Newport Harbour.

I don't have the biggest budget ($250-$350) and I'm not expecting anything special for that price, would something like this suffice for fishing and the occasional leisure session?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolphi...addle/32333500

If any of you guys have any better suggestions id be more than happy to listen, along with any general tips of the area!

Hopefully I'll see some of you guys out there soon! Thanks

Orca Winfrey 04-26-2016 12:36 PM

Welcome to the colonies and to the forum. I'm no expert, but I think you would do better buying a used kayak rather than a new cheap one. I recently saw a post on the buy/sell section of this forum for a 13 foot Ocean Kayak Prowler for around $400. It's a fine yak that does well on the open waters. Disclaimer: I happen to own one myself. I'm sure others with far more knowledge and expertise than I will join in.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=28255

Jizzling 04-26-2016 12:40 PM

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11279269

I know this may be out of your budget range but Dick's also has some decent kayaks for a decent price. Give it a look and welcome to BWE :cheers1:

Sir g neville 04-26-2016 01:30 PM

Thanks for the links, I'm willing to stretch the budget so these are all great help! (Just don't tell my wife)

Orca Winfrey 04-26-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir g neville (Post 259726)
Thanks for the links, I'm willing to stretch the budget so these are all great help! (Just don't tell my wife)

Hahaha! I'm in the same boat. This hobby is as addictive as a schedule I drug. We are doomed.

FullFlavorPike 04-26-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jizzling (Post 259721)
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11279269

I know this may be out of your budget range but Dick's also has some decent kayaks for a decent price. Give it a look and welcome to BWE :cheers1:

Shit that's a good deal for a first time boat. Wonder how seaworthy that thing is.

jorluivil 04-26-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 259720)
Welcome to the colonies and to the forum. I'm no expert, but I think you would do better buying a used kayak rather than a new cheap one. I recently saw a post on the buy/sell section of this forum for a 13 foot Ocean Kayak Prowler for around $400. It's a fine yak that does well on the open waters. Disclaimer: I happen to own one myself. I'm sure others with far more knowledge and expertise than I will join in.

I agree, save up for something used and good rather than going with something that's new and not so good. My first kayak was a Prowler, I paid $700 for it, I didn't want to get into anything expensive because I wasn't sure if kayaking was going to be my thing...............seven years later I'm going on my third kayak.

Sir g neville 04-26-2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 259732)
I agree, save up for something used and good rather than going with something that's new and not so good. My first kayak was a Prowler, I paid $700 for it, I didn't want to get into anything expensive because I wasn't sure if kayaking was going to be my thing...............seven years later I'm going on my third kayak.

Makes sense, mind if I ask the main differences between a good kayak and a bad one?

DanaPT 04-26-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir g neville (Post 259733)
Makes sense, mind if I ask the main differences between a good kayak and a bad one?

how a kayak is molded and material (density/strength). Also, consider peddle vs. paddle.

Sit on top is probably better than sit inside kayak models. Longer and wider is more stable. For fishing deck space and rod holders are nice to have. So are nice features like compatibility with bait tanks and fish finders.

OEX this online store is a great place to start to know what is your style of kayak. then you can decide budget new or used, etc. I think you ought to buy a kayak bent towards fishing. You're gonna have fun with it.

Fishin' Magician 04-26-2016 02:45 PM

I've got a Malibu Stealth 12 that's in very good condition that I was looking to sell for $500.00. It's got the bait tank already plumbed, an anchor trolley, Trac rails, and new side hatches. Normal wear and tear on the bottom, minor scraps. It also has a transducer for a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI, but I've got the head unit on my Malibu X Factor.

I've used it mostly in Newport Harbor, Mission Bay and San Diego Bay. Last year I took it out on the Islander to SCI. It worked out great, very stable even in the high wind and large swells we had in the morning last year on that trip.

Sir g neville 04-26-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin' Magician (Post 259736)
I've got a Malibu Stealth 12 that's in very good condition that I was looking to sell for $500.00. It's got the bait tank already plumbed, an anchor trolley, Trac rails, and new side hatches. Normal wear and tear on the bottom, minor scraps. It also has a transducer for a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI, but I've got the head unit on my Malibu X Factor.

I've used it mostly in Newport Harbor, Mission Bay and San Diego Bay. Last year I took it out on the Islander to SCI. It worked out great, very stable even in the high wind and large swells we had in the morning last year on that trip.

Would you be able to show me some pictures? Thanks!

cris 04-26-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir g neville (Post 259716)
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I moved recently to Orange County, CA from the UK. I just sold my kayak back home and I'm looking to get out on the water mainly in Newport Harbour.

I don't have the biggest budget ($250-$350) and I'm not expecting anything special for that price, would something like this suffice for fishing and the occasional leisure session?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolphi...addle/32333500

If any of you guys have any better suggestions id be more than happy to listen, along with any general tips of the area!

Hopefully I'll see some of you guys out there soon! Thanks

Welcome Sir g!

I moved over from London last year. Nice change in weather hey?

tacmik 04-26-2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 259720)

x2. Great kayak at a very good price. For your price range, it can't be beat. Good in both the bays and open ocean.

Sir g neville 04-26-2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 259735)
how a kayak is molded and material (density/strength). Also, consider peddle vs. paddle.

Sit on top is probably better than sit inside kayak models. Longer and wider is more stable. For fishing deck space and rod holders are nice to have. So are nice features like compatibility with bait tanks and fish finders.

OEX this online store is a great place to start to know what is your style of kayak. then you can decide budget new or used, etc. I think you ought to buy a kayak bent towards fishing. You're gonna have fun with it.

Thanks for the info! Very helpful stuff

Sir g neville 04-26-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cris (Post 259739)
Welcome Sir g!

I moved over from London last year. Nice change in weather hey?

Just a little bit! Good to see I'm not the only one out here!

Harry Hill 04-26-2016 06:38 PM

I can make you a deal on a Bass Pro FS12T. It is a very stable yak but not especially fast, you can stand up in it though and it has a great seat. It is not quite a year old.

Wyota 04-26-2016 06:41 PM

Try Sports Chalet

Welcome to the States. Lived a few years in N. Yorkshire myself, and my lovely bride is from Southwest London.

Check out Sports Chalet. You might get lucky and catch a nice deal on an Ocean Kayak as they increase their percentage off sale as they go out of business. Might just drop one into your upper band.

Scott

Sir g neville 04-26-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 259770)
I can make you a deal on a Bass Pro FS12T. It is a very stable yak but not especially fast, you can stand up in it though and it has a great seat. It is not quite a year old.

Could I see some pics? Thanks!

Sir g neville 04-26-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyota (Post 259771)
Welcome to the States. Lived a few years in N. Yorkshire myself, and my lovely bride is from Southwest London.

Check out Sports Chalet. You might get lucky and catch a nice deal on an Ocean Kayak as they increase their percentage off sale as they go out of business. Might just drop one into your upper band.

Scott

Gonna check out those sales! Thanks for the tip

Harry Hill 04-26-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir g neville (Post 259773)
Could I see some pics? Thanks!

I'll take some tomorrow and post them for you.