Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rockfish spot outside of newport bay (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28792)

Tommy92708 04-14-2016 07:45 AM

Rockfish spot outside of newport bay

I have seen kayakers catching lot of rockfish "about a mile" outside of the newport beach harbor mouth. I don't have a fish finder yet. Can someone pin point the location for me? It is too large out there to trial-n-error without a fish finder. Thanks in advance.

Raskal311 04-14-2016 08:19 AM

There is no way you'll find it wirhout gpd/ff. If you get on one you'll drift quickly, the spots are small and scattered. Best bet is to find the other kayakers and ask if you can stick with them. I've been out there many times where I've met random kayakers and guilded them on to spots during the day.

Raskal311 04-14-2016 08:22 AM

People around here are also pretty protective of there spots but generally very open if you ask in person.

AirborneYak 04-14-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy92708 (Post 258695)
I have seen kayakers catching lot of rockfish "about a mile" outside of the newport beach harbor mouth. I don't have a fish finder yet. Can someone pin point the location for me? It is too large out there to trial-n-error without a fish finder. Thanks in advance.

The first time I went rock fishing is with OCTICO. Caught our limits within the hour then the bite shut off. I went again without a fish finder and was like trying to find a drifting needle in a hay stack. TBH there are always people going out of Newport. Post a message that you'd like to tag along. The guys here are pretty awesome and always welcoming new guys out to the rockfish area. I might be going out within the next week or so. I'll hit you up then

Silbaugh4liberty 04-14-2016 09:00 AM

Well one of my buddies is getting limits or near limits without one. Meanwhile, I'm barely getting a couple! LOL!!

We've found them as shallow as 140 and deep as 220, so it's just a matter of finding the right rockpile I guess.

I'd like to try this Saturday since I didn't go out the last few weeks. Anyone down?

Tommy92708 04-14-2016 10:35 AM

Fish finder

Any Lowrance fish finder you guy can recommend for a PA12?

miteofthesun 04-14-2016 07:53 PM

On the weekends, you will usually see at least several yak'ers out there.

There are quite a few spots out there that hold fish.

The challenge is to stay on top of the fish, since you may be drifting at a decent rate.

octico 04-14-2016 10:05 PM

Who ever owned rock pile in NP .... say good bye !!!

A buddy and I were heading out of Newport and this guys asked me where you headed, I replied rockfishing, he said I don't have a fish finder can I join. we said sure. We fished and did all limits all around, high fives all around. A few days later this POS dropped a google maps pin my spot on facebook group saying "hey guys this is where all rockfish are in Newport".

I have fished this spot for year at most 3-4 groups at a time. We have been very diligent about not putting too much pressure on the fish. These POS show up with 15 people pulling up every fish imaginable, 8 inch sheephead 12 inch lings... I personally feel so guilty for allowing this to happen. Honesty, I have not fished my honey hole for months. It saddens me to see thes POS go out there and do this . I have pics but I do not want to post the because most of them are friends.

PapaDave 04-15-2016 05:20 AM

I did that once, showed a guy how and where to catch spotties in O'side, next thing I know he's telling me he limited out three days in a row. I even told him the resource is limited and release them.

Not doing that again.

Silbaugh4liberty 04-15-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 258773)
A buddy and I were heading out of Newport and this guys asked me where you headed, I replied rockfishing, he said I don't have a fish finder can I join. we said sure. We fished and did all limits all around, high fives all around. A few days later this POS dropped a google maps pin my spot on facebook group saying "hey guys this is where all rockfish are in Newport".

I have fished this spot for year at most 3-4 groups at a time. We have been very diligent about not putting too much pressure on the fish. These POS show up with 15 people pulling up every fish imaginable, 8 inch sheephead 12 inch lings... I personally feel so guilty for allowing this to happen. Honesty, I have not fished my honey hole for months. It saddens me to see thes POS go out there and do this . I have pics but I do not want to post the because most of them are friends.

Damn, not even I marked anyone of those spots all the times we fished together. That's just not right. I even got good and successfully releasing the little guys with a nice shove back down to fix their air bladder.

That's it, where does he live? I know a guy, that knows a guy, you know? LOL/JK

:cheers1:

cell128 04-15-2016 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was Jesse wasn't it John!!! That bastard!!!!

octico 04-16-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cell128 (Post 258829)
It was Jesse wasn't it John!!! That bastard!!!!

F'ing awesome Jaime!!!!!!