Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sat LJ report (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27112)

taggermike 09-20-2015 03:16 PM

Sat LJ report

In response to Mr. Nice guy pointing out there's been less reports, here's a report. Got on the water at 7, small waves, n clear warm water. Lots of bait a couple hundred yards passed the reserve. Big schools feeding on top and visible under the yak. Didnt want to bite tho. Moved from school to school until I found a few that wanted to bite. Made one green n 6 spanies and headed out.

North of the kelp line I was looking at the right place at the right time and saw a mako jump and do a back flip. Thing got some hang time. Looked kinda dead, no birds or even dogs around. Put in a bait any way, the one green, and the bonies killed him in about 60 seconds. Bait came back with a hundred little pin holes in him. Put out a Spanish and kept heading south. Made it to the NW corner. Current picked up out of the north and more birds started showing up.

I noticed boats n skiffs were hooking up with a slow steady pick. Mostly bones but some yt too. Nothing wanted the Spanish and unless they kept it on the stealth side I don't see yakkers getting bit. I think the fish wanted the 4-6" sardines from the receivers way more than the macks.

Threw a small mega bait, thinking with bonito around theyed eat it. I did hook up with either a yt or huge bonie cause it made a good run that i couldnt stop in to the kelp and broke off 30 lb. Got tired of watching skiffs getting bit and headed back north. Current was fast. Felt like 2 steps forward n 1 step back. Got a solid pick up, hooked up, and it came unbuttoned. Reeled in to find the dreaded tell tail curly pig tail. Shit, bad knot.

Felt like a knuckle head n started back up current out side the kelp. Got sick of that and cut across the kelp strait back to the launch. Landed at 1:00. Wiffed on 2 good pitches. Mike

surfisher 09-20-2015 03:38 PM

Thanks for the type up! Nothing but bones in North County today as well. Those things are almost as annoying as the seals/hammerheads. All they do is molest your bait till it's dead.

Geno Machino 09-20-2015 05:12 PM

Sounded like a fun day on the water!

Thx for the report.

Geno

2-Stix 09-20-2015 07:07 PM

Mike,
I will be back down in a few weeks, lets get a few says out and make some action happen.

My first day at LJ a hand full of weeks back, 10 baits, 8 molested, 1 dog, 1 landed bonito. 3 hours to make those baits on top of it.

Mr. NiceGuy 09-20-2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 242484)
Wiffed on 2 good pitches. Mike

What does this mean?

Sorry, I'm relatively new around here so I still have to ask questions. My first thoughts were margaritas or cigars :P

Mr. DumbGuy

Harry Hill 09-20-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy (Post 242512)
What does this mean?

Sorry, I'm relatively new around here so I still have to ask questions. My first thoughts were margaritas or cigars :P

Mr. DumbGuy

Looks like he had a couple of bites that he didn't get hooked

taggermike 09-21-2015 07:32 AM

Just that i couldn't take advantage of the 2 opportunities I had. Mike

silentsmell 09-21-2015 11:27 AM

Great report. It's comforting to see even the seasoned anglers get the dreaded pig tail, sorry about that.