Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Surf Launch with a Fish Finder (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26165)

Molten Furnace 07-10-2015 12:12 PM

Surf Launch with a Fish Finder

I just had a fish finder installed on my kayak and I am excited to try it out tomorrow in La Jolla. I have seen some guys that put plastic bags over their fish finders when launching and landing. Is this the best practice? Someone else told me to disconnect the unit and store it in a waterproof pouch during launch and landing and then connect it again when beyond the breakers. That seems like a hassle to me and with my luck I might flip the whole kayak trying to connect the unit once I'm at sea. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

LawDog 07-10-2015 12:18 PM

most are waterproof. I don't ever disconnect mine but have dielectric grease in the connection to help keep water out. but ive launched and landed in some nasty conditions and the finder has found its self under water more than once. I did have an issue with my current one shortly after a flip, but Lowrance replaced it with no questions asked since it was under warranty.

I think most have issues then whey are plugging in and unplugging and there is moisture in the vicinity. plus the action of inserting and removing the plug every time will reduce its ability to keep water out of the connection.

Jimmyz123 07-10-2015 01:55 PM

Most everyone I see connects them and powers them up when launching. If you are worried that you might roll going in or out then storing it in a dry place is not a bad idea. Remember, it's your gear and if you don't want to lose it, Store it, Leash it, or strap it to the kayak somehow. If you have a rod pod or front hatch or any other means do what feels best for you.

Bert Vega 07-10-2015 02:44 PM

I put mine on after I launch and remove when I land. I put it in a dry bag inside hatch.

Cadillyak 07-10-2015 06:36 PM

I abuse my FF. As long as it's under WM's warranty you're golden. Only time I may remove it is if I don't have someone to watch my stuff when parking or getting the car. Pretty easy to walk away with.

cell128 07-10-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert Vega (Post 233192)
I put mine on after I launch and remove when I land. I put it in a dry bag inside hatch.

Same here ram mount you won't hassle...mounts/dismounts in seconds

Molten Furnace 07-10-2015 09:23 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll make it a game time decision depending on the conditions in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

fishingfiend 07-11-2015 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert Vega (Post 233192)

This is what I'll be doing from now on. I usually place my sonar unit in the front hatch on the way in. Rolled recently on the landing, got a bunch of water in the hatch and ruined my sonar. Currently at Humminbird with a $245 repair bill. A dry bag is much cheaper...

Molten Furnace 07-13-2015 10:14 AM

Here is how it went: Got to La Jolla at 5:30 am Saturday morning. The waves were tiny. I decided to mount the fish finder and hook it up on the beach. Just for good measure I put a zip lock bag over the unit and fastened with two rubber bands around the RAM mount to protect against excessing splashing. The launch was as easy as could be. Took the plastic bag off once I was 100 yards out. The fish finder ( a Lowrance elite 4x HDI) was easy to use and added a whole new dimension to my fishing experience. Even so, I got skunked! Making bait was not easy on Saturday -- kept landing Bonitas. Got a few Spanish mackerel and trolled around all day -- nada. The landing was easy though. No waves to speak of. If the waves are bigger next time, I will go with the unit in the dry bag and them mount and connect once beyond the breakers.

kjsdad619 07-13-2015 11:00 AM

I NEVER cover mine, I have a sun cover to protect the screen while its not in use but that's it..the RAM mounts are legit, I just fold mine down when I come in...just don't roll the yak!