Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DIY for Hobie Live Well Pump and Switch Replacement (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26144)

Rambo 07-09-2015 09:16 AM

DIY for Hobie Live Well Pump and Switch Replacement

1 Attachment(s)
This DIY is for those who are replacing the switch and pump. It is broken into sections of disassembly and if you happen to only need to replace the switch or pump jump to those section if not start from the top and work your way down thru the reading material for reference. All parts that are replaced are OEM that is not modified by Hobie. But if you choose to go with Hobie parts I included them as well with the part numbers.

Any comments and opinions are welcome.

AirborneYak 07-10-2015 10:08 AM

I might need to replace my switch. Is that right? $13.75 for the part and the $13.75 for shipping!?

Rambo 07-10-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirborneYak (Post 233159)
I might need to replace my switch. Is that right? $13.75 for the part and the $13.75 for shipping!?

Yup, or take it down to OEX they'll take care of you and I believe it should be cheaper or something reasonable. Call them. One of my buddy had OEX replace the switch and said it was very reasonable.

YakDout 07-10-2015 01:40 PM

Bypassed my switch months ago and not turning back. Pump seems to work stronger and I don't have to worry "what if" my switch breaks on the water. Already went through Two switches before I decided to go this route.

TJones 07-10-2015 05:36 PM

This us the way to go .

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 233187)
Bypassed my switch months ago and not turning back. Pump seems to work stronger and I don't have to worry "what if" my switch breaks on the water. Already went through Two switches before I decided to go this route.

I did even better, I bought new pump refill cartridge from Walmart and ran wires straight to connector . No splices , and no switch . I should be good for a couple seasons . :D

YakDout 07-10-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 233208)
I did even better, I bought new pump refill cartridge from Walmart and ran wires straight to connector . No splices , and no switch . I should be good for a couple seasons . :D

I mean my switch is physically there. Just no wires to it. I did the same thing you did. But I'm stealth cause it looks like I still have a switch. Real tactical.

Caseym 07-10-2015 07:10 PM

Hey guys, Im building a tank (petfood container thing with cartridge atwood pump deal). Where do you guys get your 6V batteries? Ive tried the two cheapest places to start (pep boys and walmart) to no avail.
Thanks,
-Mazer

ful-rac 07-10-2015 07:11 PM

OEX sunset/mission bay of course!

AirborneYak 07-10-2015 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseym (Post 233220)
Hey guys, Im building a tank (petfood container thing with cartridge atwood pump deal). Where do you guys get your 6V batteries? Ive tried the two cheapest places to start (pep boys and walmart) to no avail.
Thanks,
-Mazer

eBay is a good place also. Second OEX for local buys.

surfisher 07-10-2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseym (Post 233220)
Thanks,
-Mazer

Oceanside dive and kayak carries them I'm pretty sure.

PescadorPete 07-11-2015 06:51 AM

I don't care for the push/pull switch. When water gets into the shaft, it ruins the switch. I use a Cole Hersee toggle switch. After mounting it, fill the boot with dielectric grease. After you screw the boot on, run a bead of silicon around the end of the boot and the bait tank for a waterproof seal.

I make the connections with waterproof crimp butt connectors. These heat shrink connectors have heat activated adhesive built into the sleeve of the heat shrink tubing. When heated, these connectors form a watertight seal.

When reaching behind to grab a rod, I sometimes inadvertently bump the switch down. So I mounted it with down being on so I don't accidentally turn the pump off.

I like having the switch so when I'm in the WSB stealth mode, I can easily shut the tank off.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...500/switch.jpg