Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Breakwall Saturday? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25882)

parkermann 06-17-2015 12:24 PM

Breakwall Saturday?

Anyone want to show me around the break wall Saturday? Ive fished freshwater in my kayak a bunch and have been dying to take it in the salt. If I'm on the inside of the breakwall should I still have a buddy? What are the dangers? Besides other boats? Anything really. Can the wind get bad?

tamddo714 06-17-2015 12:26 PM

it's always good to have a buddy anytime you go fish. check weather reports for winds and I'd advise to stay away from the bait barge as tons of boats are out getting bait

DanaPT 06-17-2015 03:05 PM

what break wall?

Hard to plan fishing when you have to rely on a "buddy". just figure your limits, plan for a worst case and fish.

I'd search the site. there are a few must have items for your safety;
-pfd, whistle, radio, a plan if things go bad.

parkermann 06-17-2015 03:28 PM

The long beach break wall. And I already have all the safety things on my yak

Rocketfish 06-17-2015 03:36 PM

I have been fishing inside that breakwall lately at some of the oil islands and have been venturing by myself. It has been super calm each morning I've gone out but I make sure to take my VHF radio, pfd, and look out for large boats. This hasn't been a problem and it feels totally safe. In fact a couple of days ago when I was there, I met another lone yakker.

NOW... these islands are onlyhalfway to the breakwall. If I had the time, I think I wouldn't be too worried to go out to that breakwall by myself, again, because I have a radio and pfd. I'm saying this because I'm thinking that if my yak can no longer be used due to damage or what not, there are so many other little boats out there along with the huge a$$ shipping boats that someone SHOULD be able to rescue me especially if I can radio for help. Anyway, that's just my $.02. I still consider myself a newbie yakker and I'm certainly afraid to go out by myself to where some of these other guys go for YT or even BFT!

parkermann 06-17-2015 04:22 PM

Rocketfish, if you are planning to go out this weekend or sometime next week could I tag along? We don't have to be right next to each other and fish the same places the entire time but maybe we can meet up and fish the same general areas?

Rocketfish 06-17-2015 07:56 PM

Parkermann... Heck yeah let's go! I'll message you.

AirborneYak 06-17-2015 08:15 PM

I might be down. I'll hit you up later, norm.

Rocketfish 06-17-2015 08:24 PM

even better Paul! man, the only problem is that Cherry Beach parking lot might still be under construction. perhaps you can do some recon and see if it's still closed? otherwise i don't know where to launch from that won't involve paddling for days.

spottie_slayer 06-17-2015 08:56 PM

Isn't there a launch ramp near Ocean and Bayshore Dr for sailboats?