Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   newport 3/26 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25044)

spyakker 03-26-2015 12:59 PM

newport 3/26

3 Attachment(s)
Launched from kids beach around 6:30 and made my way out to open waters to find some rock fish. Ended up with TONS of lizard fish and one rock fish. Moved from place to place trying to find structure for about 2 hours and then made my way over to the kelp patties. I hooked up to a massive Mackeral and a fish that I don't know what it was. Stayed there for about 30 min before making my way to the bait barge where I caught a short Halibut. I am now a believer of Uni-Butter. Had a lot of action on my 5 inch big hammers with the uni butter and had a couple tails ripped off. Finished the day around noon. Overall a fun day and will prob be back out tomorrow.
btw, does anyone know what the size limit is for the red rockfish? tried looking online but wasn't sure.

octico 03-26-2015 02:39 PM

When it comes to rockfish size does matter on certain fish, see the link below. I dont think there is a size limit on reds, chuckle heads, barber pole, etc ....

Rockfish
The recreational fishery for rockfish (Sebastes sp.) is open to divers2 and shore-based anglers year-round. The fishery is open to boat-based anglers from March 1, 2015 through December 31, 2015 (see important NOTE at the end of this section). These species may only be taken or possessed3 in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish in combination of all species within the RCG Complex (includes all species of Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenlings) per person, with a sub-limit on black rockfish (5 per person) and bocaccio (3 per person), also included in the 10 fish RCG Complex aggregate limit. Yelloweye rockfish, canary rockfish, bronzespotted rockfish, and cowcod may not be retained (bag limit: zero).

makobob 03-26-2015 02:55 PM

Did you drag one of those lizzard fish around the piles for Halibut? Another missed oppertunity?

ful-rac 03-26-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 223431)
When it comes to rockfish size does matter on certain fish, see the link below. I dont think there is a size limit on reds, chuckle heads, barber pole, etc ....

Yep no size limit on rockfish. You can keep 3 groupers now and 3 lingcod.

You gotta blue perch there!!! :luxhello: I haven't seen a local blue perch in years!!!

And don't call them kelp patties....that's just not right....

Rambo 03-26-2015 06:19 PM

Nice set of species caught. Definitely the blue perch are good eats. How deep were you fishing?

flemdogg 03-26-2015 06:42 PM

Caught a blue perch off tamarack last year. About two feet from the surface a decent size BSB took a snap at him, crazy sight and almost knocked me out of my yak. Anyways, good on you for getting out there.

jorluivil 03-26-2015 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 223432)
Did you drag one of those lizzard fish around the piles for Halibut? Another missed oppertunity?

Unless they're small(under 7-8inches) never ever ever ever ever under any circumstances throw lizard fish away, pin that folker on and drag the bottom with it.

I would kill to catch a lizard fish in the 10" plus range.

spyakker 03-26-2015 07:40 PM

I was fishing about 150 when I caught the rock fish. Went all the way out to 250 but didn't find much structure, and its hard not having a gps on the fishfinder to drop waypoints. time to upgrade! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambo (Post 223456)
Nice set of species caught. Definitely the blue perch are good eats. How deep were you fishing?

I never knew halibut like lizard fish, every drop I would get 1 or 2 lizard fish on the end of my line.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 223458)
Unless they're small(under 7-8inches) never ever ever ever ever under any circumstances throw lizard fish away, pin that folker on and drag the bottom with it.

igotpron 03-26-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Seriously? I've had days where I couldn't catch anything but lizard fish. Definatly caught them in the 10-12" range. Not often but I get them. And now I'm told to just leave them on and drop back down.

What likes lizard fish?

Silbaugh4liberty 03-26-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

I did that in Long Beach once, dragged bottom with a Mac for nothing all day. Then threw on a lizard fish instead, something grabbed it right away, broke off 30lb test like nothing.

ful-rac 03-26-2015 09:41 PM

Lizards don't always work....but sometimes they are the hot bait. Give'm a try sometime, if you never have you might be pleasantly surprised.

CardiffJim 03-27-2015 05:53 AM

how to hook lizardfish?

O.K., now I've caught a lizardfish, how do you hook it for bait?

FleshandBlood 03-27-2015 07:18 AM

I was wondering where the kelp is in Newport. I've cruised outside the mouth and didn't come across any. The only kelp I've seen on Google earth looked like it was right up against the rocks along the beach. I must be missing it.

octico 03-27-2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleshandBlood (Post 223504)
I was wondering where the kelp is in Newport. I've cruised outside the mouth and didn't come across any. The only kelp I've seen on Google earth looked like it was right up against the rocks along the beach. I must be missing it.

There is a lot of kelp on the south side of the jettie. The kelp is on the south side of Corona del mar beach you can see it on Google Maps

captnblood34 03-27-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

SSSHHHH.... He didn't mean it, NOTHING will smoke a lizard, DEF not a halibut...