Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SanO Beach Fun Day (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24579)

Zed 02-12-2015 11:32 AM

SanO Beach Fun Day

This Saturday (yeah Valentine's; How bout a romantic beach day?) CaboJohn (and CaboLea) and myself are havin a beach day as a buen viaje for rossman. Casual fish in the AM then maybe some play in the waves and some dogs and picnic food back on the beach. Usually we do these fun days in July or Aug but well w air in the 80s on the sand and water still over 60 why not February?

So this is an informal invite to come hang out and have a chance to load some of those infamous Trestles/SanO cobbles into rossmans pod w/o him knowing.

Gates open at 0600. Lineup around 0530. W swell dropping off and (shadowed) NW building. SanO is biggest WSW to SE so it shouldn't be big. Come have some fun.

cabojohn 02-12-2015 12:16 PM

Rossman said he is willing to give up his double secret San'O halibut hole to anyone willing to follow him. :stoned:
:p lol - ( hope I don't get hurt for this)

*We are bringing a grill, brats /dogs plus fixings.
Hopefully we will still have some surf to play on.
See you Saturday AM

momo fish 02-12-2015 12:18 PM

So never launched from this beach but what are typical surf size ?

Zed 02-12-2015 12:23 PM

Mushy.
IMO SanO/Trestles is a good wave w good exposure but not really a powerful hollow wave. 2-4 is about the max Id choose to paddle out. Like I said it likes more S swell. Winter W-NW have islands and SanO southerly aspect to deal w.

Theres a very userfriendly channel.

wiredantz 02-12-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 218409)
So never launched from this beach but what are typical surf size ?

think county line

can be easy, can be deadly + rocks at low surf

Zed 02-12-2015 12:43 PM

Ive never been to county (jail or line) but deadly is not a word Id use.

Its very predictable. Breaks on structure, lulls in the middle then reforms for a localized shorebreak. Its not big green walls w axe lips crushing you deadly.

cabojohn 02-12-2015 12:58 PM

What Troy said...this place is prolly one of the easier surf launch / landing spots.
fwiw- I would never put anyone in harms way...I am not worried about my wife launching, landing or fishing here Saturday. I hope this helps. :)

*when in doubt...chicken out. :p

momo fish 02-12-2015 12:58 PM

I hate county line launches the same amount I hate sabiki rigs... Problem is the power they pack, lack of pattern and different directions they form making for a tricky launch..

Zed.. I heard there are 2 sets of surf to paddle through.. How is the second set further out?

I am fairly comfortable launching through 3-4 footers with about 10 second intervals.. Not sure if its worst or better at SanO..

Iceman 02-12-2015 01:08 PM

Shoots, work will be a busy one and red eyed and yawning does not a good date make. :D

Zed 02-12-2015 01:39 PM

Halibut blood is a valentiney color.

Mo theres a reform. The shorebreak is usually localized so a little walk gets you away from the worst punch so its just surgey rather than walled. The outside is consistent as to where it breaks w a nice channel to the middle where you can camp out indefinitely just outside the shorebreak. Its a slow wave from far out. Cake.

Zed 02-12-2015 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a bit exaggerated, but generally the channel.
Launch over/through the shorebreak, and hang a L in the channel for a bit and then turn R out the channel. Sometimes it closes out here on big swells. Still it's the best channel through. Reverse on the way back in. Depending on tide and swell, it may not be necessary to make that jog S, or maybe only for 10-20yds.

erinoo 02-12-2015 03:33 PM

Will try to make Troy. Would like to see ur pops before his journey.

Zed 02-12-2015 04:23 PM

Right on. Bring your rappin hat.

T-Rex 02-12-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 218419)
I hate county line launches the same amount I hate sabiki rigs... Problem is the power they pack, lack of pattern and different directions they form making for a tricky launch..

Zed.. I heard there are 2 sets of surf to paddle through.. How is the second set further out?

I am fairly comfortable launching through 3-4 footers with about 10 second intervals.. Not sure if its worst or better at SanO..

Momo - If you're comfortable with 3-4' County Line, Sano at the same size will be a piece of cake.

DanaPT 02-13-2015 06:58 AM

Travel well

Rossman- thanks for the posts and local insight to making the most of the local oc fishing waters.

Not sure I can go to San O saturday but I hope you guys kill it!

Best of luck in Mehico amigo!

SorryCharlie 02-13-2015 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the invite! I will see you there.

Just for those on the fence due to the surf, here is a pic I snapped today of the launch (farthest to the left) and looks fairly easy. Just get past that first small break :paddleersmilie: and your good!

Attachment 14664

bmercury 02-14-2015 10:00 PM

have only fished this area from the shore and the shorepound can be troubling... out of nowhere I get a wave drenching me neck or chest high while surf fishing.