Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New"ish" Guy Looking for a few answers / suggestions ! Thank You!!! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24312)

Kayak_Bernie 01-12-2015 09:53 AM

New"ish" Guy Looking for a few answers / suggestions ! Thank You!!!

Hi all,

So I am fairly new to San Diego I moved here July of 2013, but then ended up in Michigan for 8 months. So I am fairly new to fishing in SoCal. I fish in LJ and all over Mission and SD Bays. I still haven't landed a YT from the kayak :( but I have managed to catch some nice spotties, and Halibut in the bays. I am looking to expand my fishing locations and I had a few questions.

I hear places like Cabrillo and the Sewer, and San Onofre but I am not sure where they are?
Is Cabrillo the National Monument at the end of Point Loma in SD? Do they have a launch there?

how about The Sewer ? is this Mission Bay ?

I am Guessing that San Onofre is the state park south of the power plant? Where do I launch there? Beach ?

Where can I find a place to fish for Rockfish ( i know they are closed currently) ?

Any good books magazine articles I can read to hone my skills?

Anyway, I am looking expand my fishing areas/ and expertise and I thought this would be a great place to come for answers or even some helpful suggestions. I greatly appreciate any help!!!

Cheers, Bernie

MrPatrick 01-12-2015 10:49 AM

Rule one: know where Tony and his video camera are at all times! 😄

TroutBum 01-12-2015 11:00 AM

San O.... drive to the end of the road, south of "Old Mans" Beach Launch.

Cadillyak 01-12-2015 11:49 AM

Pretty sure that the both places are near LA. Two different cabriollo's and mission bay is not the sewer I believe. I do know san O is aka the power plant people fish there so there must be a launch somewhere around there.

Since you are near LJ, I would just stick there. You save on gas and its a great fishery. Even I can catch from time to time there. Just take some time snd dial it in. Once I was set on catching a yellow, I told myself no fishing the bays until I get a yellow on the yak.

EastLosYaker 01-12-2015 03:20 PM

99% of all useful so cal kayak fishing info can be found here. Just search the old threads and you will find almost anything you need to know. The problem with other books/magazines is that much of the info is very general. Here you will find info specific to our waters. Like cadillyak said, stick to la jolla and sd/mission bays. We fish cabrillo/"the sewer" up here in LA mostly because it's close. Much of the time we're driving south to fish your home waters. Welcome to BWE. If your new to this like me, you're in the right place.

Silbaugh4liberty 01-12-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadillyak (Post 215553)
Pretty sure that the both places are near LA. Two different cabriollo's and mission bay is not the sewer I believe. I do know san O is aka the power plant people fish there so there must be a launch somewhere around there.

Since you are near LJ, I would just stick there. You save on gas and its a great fishery. Even I can catch from time to time there. Just take some time snd dial it in. Once I was set on catching a yellow, I told myself no fishing the bays until I get a yellow on the yak.

What he said! We go down there to fish La Jolla. No point to drive up here unless you're visiting someone I guess. I bet you're glad to NOT be in Michigan right now, unless you like ice fishing walleye more! I'm from Ohio myself, welcome to SoCal!

GregAndrew 01-12-2015 05:36 PM

Cabrillo (the sewer, and a long story) is in San Pedro Harbor. San O(nofre) is at the power plant. You park at the state beach for $15 and drive all the way to the end of the parking lot (along with all other paddle craft). Not a good place to launch without someone that knows the place as it is over a shallow reef. Check out Google Earth for rockfish spots. Any bumps on the bottom in over 100' are good places to start.

jorluivil 01-12-2015 07:23 PM

Stay away from The Sewer, that place is just nasty and it holds nothing, parking rates are insane and when the winds start to blow you'd better hope you're at least 10' from the launch. The guys that fish that area are a bunch of weirdos and they'll make you buy them lunch just because.

bubblehide 01-12-2015 07:25 PM

Bernie, I think everyone thus far missed the boat, so I'll do you the favor. Contact josh Pruitt, DarkHorse here on BWE, and book a guided tour of LJ. Lots of folks here will tell you that one day with him will cut the learning curve by years.

Teambcw 01-12-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 215587)
Stay away from The Sewer, that place is just nasty and it holds nothing, parking rates are insane and when the winds start to blow you'd better hope you're at least 10' from the launch. The guys that fish that area are a bunch of weirdos and they'll make you buy them lunch just because.

1 hot turkey pastrami please!

addicted2sp33d 01-13-2015 06:46 AM

Wait Wait Wait... lemme get this straight. You fish La Jolla and want to fish other locations? :confused:

If you're sleeping with Scarlett Johanssen, do you suddenly want to start dating Steve Buscemi? :eek:

Put in your time at La Jolla and eventually you'll land a Yellow. Don't downgrade.

Besides, during the summer, La Jolla is more fun than the other locations - lots of "Scarlett Johanssens" to welcome you back to the beach.

Lipripper92592 01-13-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d (Post 215600)
Wait Wait Wait... lemme get this straight. You fish La Jolla and want to fish other locations? :confused:

If you're sleeping with Scarlett Johanssen, do you suddenly want to start dating Steve Buscemi? :eek:

Put in your time at La Jolla and eventually you'll land a Yellow. Don't downgrade.

Besides, during the summer, La Jolla is more fun than the other locations - lots of "Scarlett Johanssens" to welcome you back to the beach.

That comparison just made me grimace.......Oh Steve sure is not a looker but sure does play a good Mr. Pink!

Kayak_Bernie 01-13-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

HAHAHA, this made me laugh out loud. I was really trying to get an idea if I was missing the proverbial boat by not fishing anywhere else. I am pretty lucky that I can be at LJ in about 15 min, and Mission Bay in about 5. I agree with the fact that the learning curve is pretty steep, but I guess its all about putting your time in and finding out what works and what doesn't.

TJones 01-13-2015 05:12 PM

Sewer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 215587)

:D

jorluivil 01-13-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote from the movie Perfect Stranger:

Ro: [on hearing Mr Hill is cheating on his wife] I don't get it. Mrs Hill is pretty. I mean, she's really pretty.
Gina: Show me a beautiful woman, I'll show you a man who's tired of f*#king her.

LJ is a really pretty place to fish but just because it is doesn't mean everyone is drooling to tap it, I know I'm not.

IMHO

addicted2sp33d 01-13-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 215657)
LJ is a really pretty place to fish but just because it is doesn't mean everyone is drooling to tap it, I know I'm not.

You're just bitter you live 2+ hours from La Jolla... he's 15 minutes away.

Don't try to talk him out of banging Scarlett Johanssen. You know you would be tapping that every day if you lived 15 minutes away from her.

ericko 01-13-2015 08:21 PM

Of course he would drive 15 minutes to just hug Scallet....Do you remember his girl on the side Candy a thing of beauty

jorluivil 01-13-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d (Post 215678)
You're just bitter you live 2+ hours from La Jolla... he's 15 minutes away.

Don't try to talk him out of banging Scarlett Johanssen. You know you would be tapping that every day if you lived 15 minutes away from her.

HA!!!!

Bitter? I think not. You want to know how many times I fished there last year during that wide open bite? Let's just say that I went to a bar more times than I fished LJ and I dont even drink alcohol

In my opinion if he wants to fish other locations let him do it, it'll only make him a better fisherman.

By the way, Scarlett johansen has been married twice so obviosuly someone was tired of tapping it.