Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Commercial lobster fishing (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23465)

Aaron&Julie 09-27-2014 04:13 PM

Commercial lobster fishing

Are the commercial lobster cages out now? I tried looking up the start date for commercial fishermen but couldn't find it.

Aaron

ctfphoto 09-27-2014 04:36 PM

I talked with commercial guy at the boat ramp this AM. He said that they could drop their traps but they could not bait them yet. I think their opener is in a few days to a week.

tacmik 09-27-2014 05:38 PM

Think the commercial season starts on the wed. after the recreational season starts.

momo fish 09-27-2014 05:45 PM

Commercial lobster fishing

They started dropping in Malibu yesterday so guessing it's a yes or at least just dropping nets.

YakDout 09-27-2014 05:55 PM

Huh

GregAndrew 09-27-2014 05:59 PM

They drop them early to stake their claim to their spots without bait.

Saba Slayer 09-27-2014 08:05 PM

Commercials

I believe it starts on Wednesday...so go drop your nets next to their gear while you can before they bait up.
They can drop their gear but the doors must be wired open...as Greg said, it's all about establishing their turf and getting a jump on getting their gear in the water. Some of these guys have over 300 traps that they run and there are even a few that run up to 1000 traps.
Once the new reg package goes through, the commercial guys will get even more time to drop their traps pre season, and they will probably be limited to 300 traps per permit with the ability to stack two permits.
It's nice to see them finally get some gear limits although their catch is still unlimited!

lowprofile 09-28-2014 05:15 AM

go out at night and cut all the buoys! :D

Saba Slayer 09-28-2014 06:05 AM

WHAT?

Lowprofile...ARE YOU PHOOKIN NUTS...?
How about we go to your job and disable the machinery or computers there...?
These guys are out on the water trying to make an honest living...It's not easy and they have to deal with what Mother Nature puts out each season.
I hope you realize how rude and selfish that statement is...!!!!
Not to mention the DFW fine if caught doing that sort of thing...AND beware to the bouy cutter who gets caught by a commercial guy...who knows what he'd do to you!!! Maybe a scene from Pulp Fiction...!

lowprofile 09-28-2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 207476)
Lowprofile...ARE YOU PHOOKIN NUTS...?
How about we go to your job and disable the machinery or computers there...?
These guys are out on the water trying to make an honest living...It's not easy and they have to deal with what Mother Nature puts out each season.
I hope you realize how rude and selfish that statement is...!!!!
Not to mention the DFW fine if caught doing that sort of thing...AND beware to the bouy cutter who gets caught by a commercial guy...who knows what he'd do to you!!! Maybe a scene from Pulp Fiction...!

chill dude. the green smiley ( :D ) clearly shows the sarcasm and jokingness in the post.

mrJB 09-28-2014 06:30 AM

COMMERCIAL lobstermen are worse than cormorants or sealions. There are more of them in the DP area than before, they are rude with attitudes and care nothing about kayak fishermen, they hog-up and saturate the inshore structure, they race around and don't care about their wakes or proximity to kayaks, and generally screw up the inshore fishing.

Making money should not become an excuse to be an A-hole.

No smilies here...

tacmik 09-28-2014 08:51 AM

Hey. Just remember, they are trying to feed their families, make house and boat payments and earn a living. We, for the most part, are hooping for fun and relaxation (and a nice meal). We can get to places they can't in order to hoop. Cut them a little slack. They have 6 months to earn enough money to last the year.

alanw 09-28-2014 10:56 AM

I don't hoop but those buoys sure make finding structure easy! For example, last year there was a nice buoy line along the pipe, making it easy to stay on. This year I finally have a GPS on my FF so I'm ready to go out and mark all their buoy spots within kayak range for future use. :D

TroutBum 09-28-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 207505)
I don't hoop but those buoys sure make finding structure easy! For example, last year there was a nice buoy line along the pipe, making it easy to stay on. This year I finally have a GPS on my FF so I'm ready to go out and mark all their buoy spots within kayak range for future use. :D

Sounds like a plan!:cheers1:

PapaDave 09-29-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 207505)

Before it died, I had all the spots in Dana marked on my FF. Gotta start over now.