Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1st kayak (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23103)

Cool-Hand-Luke-57 08-25-2014 07:25 PM

1st kayak

Just picked up my 1st kayak on Saturday at the malibu parking lot sale. Bought a stealth 9.

Being this is my first (and definitely Not last) kayak, what tips do you guys suggest?????

Plan on fishing the local harbors, and inside of break wall

Ready go!?!?!?

Thanks, Luke

Oxbeast1210 08-25-2014 07:28 PM

make sure you have all your safety equipment before going out. Practice self rescue couple times too.

what fish will you be targeting?

jorluivil 08-25-2014 07:28 PM

Here's the best advise I can give you, don't be this guy.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=23078

Cool-Hand-Luke-57 08-25-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 (Post 204436)
make sure you have all your safety equipment before going out. Practice self rescue couple times too.

what fish will you be targeting?

I have a PFD, what other safety equipment do your recommend?
Bass and halibut inside the bay, and calicos at the wall

jorluivil 08-25-2014 07:33 PM

There was a long thread going here a while back regarding safety equipment, use the search function and I'm sure you'll find. One thing that you don't want to go on the water without is your PFD, VHF radio and most importantly......................common sense.

YakDout 08-25-2014 07:37 PM

Bilge pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool-Hand-Luke-57 08-25-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 204441)
There was a long thread going here a while back regarding safety equipment, use the search function and I'm sure you'll find. One thing that you don't want to go on the water without is your PFD, VHF radio and most importantly......................common sense.

I have PFD & handheld VHF radio. And I'd like to think I have the common sense 😎.

Thanks

Irishman 08-25-2014 07:51 PM

On the PFD I highly recommend a whistle. I have one on mine and it's nice to know you have a noise making device that will get attention without having to resort to yelling if you should take a dip. I have it on a lanyard and tied to the vest

ful-rac 08-25-2014 08:02 PM

My tip is....buy a bigger more expensive kayak cause' if you dont catch multiple yellowtail or WSB in your first week kayak fishing you suck! :eek:

You need the room to pile those suckers on!

mclanea 08-25-2014 09:25 PM

I recommend buying a paddling PFD that you don't mind wearing. The rule in our house is that everyone where's one 100% of the time. Accidents happen.

I bought $3 in parachute cord at Home Depot... rule is we tether everything we want to keep. Almost lost my GoPro rig on my very first trip ti La Jolla... lesson learned! (technically, I did lose it. but I was just able to retrieve it.)

cell128 08-25-2014 09:29 PM

Bilge pump a def in case you need to take water out... Wouldn't hurt to have a vhf radio for coast guard emergency calls

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ricsen 08-25-2014 09:31 PM

Welcome to the forum. In addition to what has been mentioned, a small first aid kit with items to treat puncture/knife wounds can come in handy. Congratulations on your new kayak. Hope you enjoy it and catch loads of fish.

User name 08-26-2014 07:35 AM

I always keep a pair of wire cutters with my first aid kit in case i get hooked.

Cool-Hand-Luke-57 08-26-2014 05:11 PM

So besides all the safety gear, How about fishing gear, leashes, carts/crates, etc???

octico 08-26-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool-Hand-Luke-57 (Post 204550)
So besides all the safety gear, How about fishing gear, leashes, carts/crates, etc???

All of the above.

Irishman 08-26-2014 08:17 PM

Some other things I have added to my list when I go out...
Paddle plan letting significant other know where you are paddling out at
Minimum size for targeted fish...know the regs for halibut, bass etc
What the tides are doing, trying to paddle against the current at sd bay is an experience!!!
Hydration and food
Take a dump before you go out!!
Sunscreen

Cadillyak 08-26-2014 08:27 PM

^ like!

alanw 08-26-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishman (Post 204587)

I thought I was the only one with that on my list :p

Cool-Hand-Luke-57 08-26-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishman (Post 204587)
Paddle plan letting significant other know where you are paddling out at
Minimum size for targeted fish...know the regs for halibut, bass etc
What the tides are doing, trying to paddle against the current at sd bay is an experience!!!
Hydration and food
Sunscreen

I always let the wife know where i was gonna be when float tubing the harbors.

I'm pretty up,to date with fish sizes, and mostly just catch, snap a pic, and release.

Tides; I'm always looking at tides (tide charts/tide watch/surges) because of work; assistant dock aster at al Larson bait boat shop.

+1 on taking a dump before going out 😎😎

Hunters Pa 08-27-2014 07:33 AM

Where are you located? Get to know some people near you to pick their brains on rigging.

And for home safety, make room for another, longer kayak.