Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Harbor freight trailer? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=22337)

andrewtp 06-12-2014 11:11 AM

Harbor freight trailer?

Anybody use this? My bud lookin at it for his inflatable zodiac type boat.
I thought I read on here that the speed limit on them was 55.. So wouldn't to see if I could confirm that.

Andrew

MrM 06-12-2014 11:18 AM

The speed limit for trailers is 55mph. If you google "Harbor Freight Trailer Build" you'll see some great photos. Highly customize-able and super cheap when on sale. A little heavy compared to an aluminum trailer but they work great. Get the big tires.

Lipripper92592 06-12-2014 03:04 PM

I picked up the "boat trailer" from HF modified it and it worked great to haul my zodiac from the central valley to the coast. IF you are dunking the trailer, get new bearings and bearing buddies, because those will go quite quickly. Keep your eye on rust as well. Light trailer and great price.

andrewtp 06-12-2014 04:14 PM

Thanks for replies

I understand the trailer limit is 55mph, but can the trailer handle say going 65? When trailering my boat I don't always stay at 55.

Andrew

jorluivil 06-12-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewtp (Post 197510)
Thanks for replies

I understand the trailer limit is 55mph, but can the trailer handle say going 65? When trailering my boat I don't always stay at 55.

Andrew

I hate to answer a question with a question but can you afford a ticket for driving over the speed limit?

CheapPelican 06-12-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewtp (Post 197479)
Anybody use this? My bud lookin at it for his inflatable zodiac type boat.
I thought I read on here that the speed limit on them was 55.. So wouldn't to see if I could confirm that.

Andrew

"...keep the stock wheels and install 155/80-12 steel belted radial car tires."

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583128

ctfphoto 06-12-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 197512)
I hate to answer a question with a question but can you afford a ticket for driving over the speed limit?

Having talked my way out of so many speeding tickets, it it ALWAYS good to have a great "story" for the cop as well as being super friendly to the officer.

My fishing kayak for sure got me out of a (reckless driving) ticket weaving in an out of traffic going over the 52 summit.

I say sorry officer kinda tired and want to get home after a long day of kayak fishing. Cop asks if I caught anything? I say ya sure, do you want to see? Then he says do you want to catch a ticket? (at this point I know I'm golden) and I say not really. He gives me verbal warning.

Few months later I'm speeding down 52 super early AM and get passed by a cop who flashes his spotlight on me (as a visual warning) and then takes off. He for sure could see my fishing kayak.

kayachapi 06-13-2014 07:20 AM

Respect and Honesty

I was driving my wife and son to his hockey game. 65 in a 55 mph. The officer asked me if I kew why he pulled me over. "Yes sir, I was going 65 mph". I answered all his questions respectfully and nervously scrambled around trying to find my insurance paperwork. At the end he chuckled and said "you where the slowest person I pulled over today, slow it down" and let me go. My wife asked me if I knew why he let me off? I said "because I was respectful and honest" I was trying to set a good example for my son. She said "nope" clasped her hands together, pulled her elbows in, and popped out the best cleavage shot I have seen. "Thats why." She's a helper.
When I'm pulling my trailer I try to set the cruise control and keep it at 55+mph, but sometimes the voices in my head are convincing that I won't get caught. Sorry about going off topic.

alanw 06-13-2014 08:04 AM

Be respectful but never admit to going over the speed limit.

Everything you say can and will be used against you.

Nothing you say can or will be used for you.

kayachapi 06-13-2014 09:45 AM

Alan

I wasn't getting arrested. If I had gotten a ticket, I would have paid it. Just thought my wife's effort was awesome, and funny. Honesty and respect works for me, and keeps the confusion out of my life. Tight lines to you sir. Again, sorry.