Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Newport Rockies (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21639)

AirborneYak 04-13-2014 02:38 PM

Newport Rockies

7 Attachment(s)
Met up with Octico-John at 0500 and got prepped ready to hit Newport. Got to the AO around 0600 and found Will- William Novotny already there. My guts told me I had to negotiate a hostage situation, so I drove for about 10 mins to find a bathroom to take a crap. Glad to report that all the hostages were released and I got back and we hit the water about 0630ish.

With the sun still trying to peak through the morning sky, we finally get to our fishing grounds around 0700. The bite started off slow and nothing was hitting our squid. Will was already marking fish, but nothing was taking. We were soaking our bait, when a HUGE pod of dolphins ran through our AO. Words or video can't do justice to how awesome it was witnessing it!

Watch "Large pod of dolphins" on YouTube
Large pod of dolphins: http://youtu.be/egJFBMK2774

After what seemed like forever, the bite finally takes off and we all started hooking up. We had a few double up. The majority of the fish caught were too small to make even one taco. I ended with 6 keepers. John had about 7 or 8 and Will was one shy from limiting.

Attachment 12157

Attachment 12158

Me and John ended seasick on our way back. Lol We took turns turning blue and dry heaving.

The spoils of the day.

Attachment 12156

My cousin made some tartar sauce from scratch and it was better than any store bought brand. I soaked the fillets in milk for a good hour then made a corn meal/ flour.

Attachment 12161

Attachment 12159

I deep fried two of the reds seasoned with just chicken boullion.
It came out better than I thought it would.

Attachment 12162

Finished tacos!!

Attachment 12160

Spiderman for just because.

Big thanks to John for the invite and letting me use one of his rigs to catch my first rock fish off a kayak. And a just as big thank you to Will for putting is on fish!! I had an awesome time today and got to meet other BWE members out there as well, so all and all it was a good day.

Airborne All The way!!

Paul

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

socal_matt 04-13-2014 03:49 PM

Looks like a good trip. Was out there yesterday, it was tough in the beginning too, but still ended up with limits on reds and barberpoles. Those tacos look delicious.:D

AirborneYak 04-13-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal_matt (Post 190212)
Looks like a good trip. Was out there yesterday, it was tough in the beginning too, but still ended up with limits on reds and barberpoles. Those tacos look delicious.:D

It started off slow and I thought I'd going to home with an empty stringer and a stripe down the back, but it worked out. The tacos were delicious. Everything taste better
Fresh!

octico 04-13-2014 05:24 PM

Green ...

Paul got it right fishing was slow until about 8AM. At first nothing then I tried 10 cranks off the bottom,and then bam, fish on.

I have fished for years and have never been sea sick. I think it was a combination of cheap wine yesterday and the smell of squid. When the feeling came, it was quick and merciless. I was have heaving, and could hear Paul laughing his ass off. We start heading back in and I hear Paul start upchucking ... I was laughing my ass off at this point! I looked down and all I had left was beer. I reached down cracked one open and away went the nausea.

I would call today a success!

FishNinjaY 04-13-2014 07:04 PM

Nice dolphin footage! I was out there with my son, and the big highway of dolphins passed in front of us before we could get close enough to get some pics or video. But close enough for us to see. He was so stoked!

I think on the way back in, there are some swells, and I don't get seasick either. But those large slow rollers sometimes make me feel a bit queasy. :(

How did you season the deep fry fish with chicken boullion? That sounds tasty. I've also wondered about how to cook whole fish in skin on a BBQ. Thanks for the pics.

:drool5:

alanw 04-13-2014 08:33 PM

Another nice day out! Love the dolphins

AirborneYak 04-13-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 190225)
Paul got it right fishing was slow until about 8AM. At first nothing then I tried 10 cranks off the bottom,and then bam, fish on.

I have fished for years and have never been sea sick. I think it was a combination of cheap wine yesterday and the smell of squid. When the feeling came, it was quick and merciless. I was have heaving, and could hear Paul laughing his ass off. We start heading back in and I hear Paul start upchucking ... I was laughing my ass off at this point! I looked down and all I had left was beer. I reached down cracked one open and away went the nausea.

I would call today a success!

John today was definitely a success! Between the throwing up and all the fish that were caught it was great time had indeed!!

AirborneYak 04-14-2014 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishNinjaY (Post 190238)
Nice dolphin footage! I was out there with my son, and the big highway of dolphins passed in front of us before we could get close enough to get some pics or video. But close enough for us to see. He was so stoked!

I think on the way back in, there are some swells, and I don't get seasick either. But those large slow rollers sometimes make me feel a bit queasy. :(

How did you season the deep fry fish with chicken boullion? That sounds tasty. I've also wondered about how to cook whole fish in skin on a BBQ. Thanks for the pics.

:drool5:

I can't wait till my kids are old enough to go out with me.
I used the chicken bullion instead of salt I used about 2 table spoon and rubbed it in on both side. And pan fried it on low to medium heat.

Bert Vega 04-14-2014 06:20 AM

Great report. I hope Spider-Man washed his hands and feet.

J3FFro 04-14-2014 07:45 AM

Thanks for the report! I need to get out there soon! I want some reds!

blitzburgh 04-14-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirborneYak (Post 190205)
The bite started off slow and nothing was hitting our squid. Will was already marking fish, but nothing was taking.

Way to scratch em' out! :cheers1: From what I hear, there has been tons of Krill around that the Rockies have been feeding on.