Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Quickie at the Dana... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21218)

Big T 03-12-2014 07:26 PM

Quickie at the Dana...

1 Attachment(s)
So went out for a little hooky today and got the kayak wet off of dana point. Paddled out to the Yacht Club flag dragging a rapala for a possible thresher... Nada. Drifted from there to the pipe. Nada. Paddled back. Did it again... on the way, saw two false killer whales Then a few more!!! Awesome! and then a couple of other whales... Drifted again for one short butt. Boo.

Went to the end of the pipe... drifted and came up with this. Thought,"Washed the skunk off...time to go."

Swells were small and the wind was barely there. Beautiful day. Still feel guilty.

addicted2sp33d 03-12-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big T (Post 185928)
So went out for a little hooky today and got the kayak wet off of dana point. Paddled out to the Yacht Club flag dragging a rapala for a possible thresher... Nada. Drifted from there to the pipe. Nada. Paddled back. Did it again... on the way, saw two false killer whales Then a few more!!! Awesome! and then a couple of other whales... Drifted again for one short butt. Boo.

Went to the end of the pipe... drifted and came up with this. Thought,"Washed the skunk off...time to go."

Swells were small and the wind was barely there. Beautiful day. Still feel guilty.

No point doing it if you're going to feel guilty afterwards. :) Might as well enjoy it to the fullest!

Big T 03-12-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d (Post 185936)
No point doing it if you're going to feel guilty afterwards. :) Might as well enjoy it to the fullest!

Werd

alanw 03-12-2014 08:34 PM

Conditions actually look a lot better than I thought they would today. I drove by around 5 on the way home from work and it looked choppy at Doheny.

FISH11 03-12-2014 09:06 PM

You should never feel guilty for fishing instead of being at work. Unless your the Boss!

Amish Ed 03-12-2014 09:51 PM

Yeah, I'd feel guilty if I played hooky too. But, at least you got a fish. Very cool seeing the False Orcas too. Heard there was a pod of about 50 outside of Dana today.

fishingfiend 03-13-2014 06:48 AM

Always nice to get out, thanks for the report. Here is a quote from Newport Landing this morning regarding the false killer whales. Very interesting...

"Extremely rare viewings of false killer whales on our whale watching cruises yesterday Weds March 12 haven't been seen locally for over decade. A group of 8 false killer whales were cruising off Laguna Beach on Wednesday. Typically found in the open ocean and in more tropical waters they look very similar to a killer whale even in size. The group of false killer whales were viewed cruising and even feeding on large white sea bass off Laguna beach. A real added treat for our whale watchers onboard those cruises yesterday. Along with false killer whales, gray whales were also viewed yesterday as well as huge pods of dolphin (one pod over 1000 was viewed)."

Now I can blame the false orca's for my WSB skunks!

blitzburgh 03-13-2014 06:54 AM

Nice Sandbasstard :cheers1:

rogersmith 03-13-2014 09:45 AM

funny, I think my boss has a line direct to the fishing gods, whenever I play hooky during the week, the fishing is slow to say the least!

PapaDave 03-13-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogersmith (Post 185980)
funny, I think my boss has a line direct to the fishing gods, whenever I play hooky during the week, the fishing is slow to say the least!

^ What he said ^

Thanks for the report, will be heading out there this weekend.

Hondatom 03-13-2014 10:42 AM

I think I will follow your example tomorrow. Newport is calling my name!

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent.

I stole this from another site!

Big T 03-13-2014 05:53 PM

I think it's BECAUSE I'm the boss that I felt so guilty!! I'm kinda hard on myself when it comes to the biz.... if it was just an hourly job, I'd feel like I deserved it more, or I was "stickin' it to the man" .... LOL.... But, I AM the man. Damn. Plus I didn't earn enough shoe money for the wife that day... There's built in guilt right there.:rolleyes:

Wow! 50 whales!! I didn't see that many at one particular time... but I guess I can see how there could be that many. They were everywhere it seemed.