Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Oside report for Sunday March 9th (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21167)

YakDout 03-09-2014 11:58 AM

Oside report for Sunday March 9th

1 Attachment(s)
Launched around 7 am with CDfisher. Conditions were a little rough heading out with those winds picking up pretty good out of the east. Made it out to the artificial reefs and had some nice action on the calicos and sandies. Just about every anchovie we dropped got bit. Conditions improved for about an hour or so then got really bad. Forced to come in around 11am .

But not before catching the main ingredient to some awesome fish tacos.

Grunt31 03-09-2014 12:40 PM

Nice catch. Headed out that way yesterday for a bit. Pulled in a a small Hali. 20" plus WSB and a little bass. All on flukes.

buddha 03-09-2014 01:28 PM

Is that a calico or a sand bass?

To me sand bass don't make very good fish tacos. They work better with a different recipe.

YakDout 03-09-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 185414)
Is that a calico or a sand bass?

To me sand bass don't make very good fish tacos. They work better with a different recipe.

It's a sand bass, the filter I put on the picture made it look like a calico. What do you usually do with the sand bass?

buddha 03-09-2014 03:44 PM

With a sand bass I usually make a sauce with them and serve it with rice or pasta.

All kinds of ways you can go.

garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, anchovies- make like a pasta sauce first then gently put the sand bass in the last minute until barely cooked through. Add some pasta to it.

Or just a basic linguine with white clam sauce but use the sand bass instead.

Asian: sichuan boiled fish- doubian jiang, black bean, chile sauce, chicken or fish broth, sichuan peppercorns, garlic, ginger make the sauce first add the fish but dusted them lightly with flour first and put in the boiling sauce a piece at a time. turn off the heat until the fish is done. Serve with rice.

Garlic, ginger, olive oil, wine, minced anchovies, diced red peppers, diced tomatoes, diced olives, salt pepper put the fish whole in aluminum foil and then bake in an oven for 30-35 minutes. Serve with rice or pasta.

Sand Bass is kind of a dry and flat texture so I like to give it more flavor and moisture so that is why using a sauce helps it.

Mexican- dried chiles de arbol and guajillo: toast them first in a pan but dont burn then boil them until soft. Put in a bender with fresh water and add vinegar, salt and sugar adding a little until you get the right proportions and taste. Let is sit for awhile it gets better.

After you made the sauce, then gently saute some diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro and jalapenos until softed. Lightly saute the fish after it has been dusted with flour gently add the vegetables and then the sauce.

Serve with rice.

These should get you started.

YakDout 03-09-2014 03:46 PM

The one with the jalapeños sounds pretty good. Thanks for typing that up for me bro. I guess I have to start catching more sand bass..

buddha 03-09-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 185436)
The one with the jalapeños sounds pretty good. Thanks for typing that up for me bro. I guess I have to start catching more sand bass..

Sand bass are not my favorite fish, I prefer calico much more or rockfish, lingcod, or sculpin.

But if all you get is sand bass that day then that is what you do.

Spotfin croaker are a very similar taste to sand bass too.

Yellowfin croaker are better to me.

Of course corvina and white sea bass are good too.

svendawg 03-09-2014 04:50 PM

cook book

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 185434)
With a sand bass I usually make a sauce with them and serve it with rice or pasta.

All kinds of ways you can go.

garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, anchovies- make like a pasta sauce first then gently put the sand bass in the last minute until barely cooked through. Add some pasta to it.

Or just a basic linguine with white clam sauce but use the sand bass instead.

Asian: sichuan boiled fish- doubian jiang, black bean, chile sauce, chicken or fish broth, sichuan peppercorns, garlic, ginger make the sauce first add the fish but dusted them lightly with flour first and put in the boiling sauce a piece at a time. turn off the heat until the fish is done. Serve with rice.

Garlic, ginger, olive oil, wine, minced anchovies, diced red peppers, diced tomatoes, diced olives, salt pepper put the fish whole in aluminum foil and then bake in an oven for 30-35 minutes. Serve with rice or pasta.

Sand Bass is kind of a dry and flat texture so I like to give it more flavor and moisture so that is why using a sauce helps it.

Mexican- dried chiles de arbol and guajillo: toast them first in a pan but dont burn then boil them until soft. Put in a bender with fresh water and add vinegar, salt and sugar adding a little until you get the right proportions and taste. Let is sit for awhile it gets better.

After you made the sauce, then gently saute some diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro and jalapenos until softed. Lightly saute the fish after it has been dusted with flour gently add the vegetables and then the sauce.

Serve with rice.

These should get you started.

Buddha

You should come out with a BWE cookbook

todd one 03-09-2014 06:26 PM

Looks like a Johnny Bass to me.

YakDout 03-09-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd one (Post 185457)
Looks like a Johnny Bass to me.

It's actually big mouth billy the bass. The one that can sing.

LDO10 03-09-2014 06:49 PM

Buddha,
You gotta lay down a challenge to the Sporting Chef. Now I know why Makobob was raving about your cooking.

Les:cheers1:

buddha 03-09-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svendawg (Post 185442)
Buddha

You should come out with a BWE cookbook

Interesting idea. I have thought of a cookbook or a series of videos to package.

buddha 03-09-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDO10 (Post 185463)
Buddha,
You gotta lay down a challenge to the Sporting Chef. Now I know why Makobob was raving about your cooking.

Les:cheers1:

Thank you Les. Come on one of our baja trips and you can taste my cooking for yourself.

Hondatom 03-10-2014 01:12 PM

Buddha : awesome suggestions on the cooking. Much respect Brother!
:you_rock:

Big T 03-10-2014 01:17 PM

Nice recipes! Nice Sandy!

makobob 03-10-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 185468)
Thank you Les. Come on one of our baja trips and you can taste my cooking for yourself.

Between the 10th and 20th of April, Jeff will once again be cooking for us at Las Encantadas, we LOVED what he did in Asuncion with FROZEN farm raised Jumbo Shrimp. On this trip expect him to bring out his WORLD CLASS shrimp recipes to tantalize us with while using Wild JUMBO Sea of Cortez SHRIMP. Yes sir these shrimp slept in the ocean the NIGHT before we eat them. Impossible to get better shrimp unless you are on the boat catching them!!! Feel free to join us, all are welcome on these trips, you need not stay for the whole time, just be sure we know you are coming. We share the cost of meals, and help in the kitchen and with cleanup. Trip/meal planing 30 March at noon, Tidelands, fishing prior to meal. The lunch/planing session is only for those signed up for the trip. Thanks

Makobob