Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hali(?) Question (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=20450)

pbb 12-28-2013 07:17 PM

Hali(?) Question

Does a Halibut fight kind of like a submerged log, with occasional signs that there is something alive on the line?

Something matching that description broke off my leader this evening in MB, when it was right under the boat but before I could see it.

Of course it was the pole with the six pound flouro leader and 8 lb. mono main. The other pole had a wire leader and 15 lb. flouro main. Figures.

jorluivil 12-28-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbb (Post 178032)
Does a Halibut fight kind of like a submerged log, with occasional signs that there is something alive on the line?

Something matching that description broke off my leader this evening in MB, when it was right under the boat but before I could see it.

Of course it was the pole with the six pound flouro leader and 8 lb. mono main. The other pole had a wire leader and 15 lb. flouro main. Figures.

Speaking from experience at a minimum you should feel some head shakes, I can't recall a time when I brought up a hali that didn't shake it's head.

ful-rac 12-28-2013 07:46 PM

Ya just never really know for sure unless you see it. Ive had halibut come up motionless until 10 or so feet from the surface and then start fighting back...and ive had em fight you all the way...you just dont know.

jorluivil 12-28-2013 08:29 PM

Based on the info you provided I'm sure Mr. Elite (Stinkymatt) will know for sure what you
was on your line. He's busy checking Team Sewer Applications right now but as soon as he's done...........................

skrilla 12-28-2013 09:24 PM

Nevermind how they fight. How'd you get em to bite? :p

pbb 12-28-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 178034)
Speaking from experience at a minimum you should feel some head shakes, I can't recall a time when I brought up a hali that didn't shake it's head.

I'm thinking that what I referred to as "occasional signs that there is something alive on the line" were the infamous head shakes. The rest of the time it felt like I had hooked into a big kelp forest and was slowly pulling it and the yak closer together.

The chance I snagged on something seems close to zero, as I was using an offset worm hook with the point stuck in a grub.

Plus there aren't so many big kelp forests on the floor of Mission Bay.

So I think I won't be using the 6 lb. leaders anymore.

beef78 12-28-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbb (Post 178043)
I'm thinking that what I referred to as "occasional signs that there is something alive on the line" were the infamous head shakes. The rest of the time it felt like I had hooked into a big kelp forest and was slowly pulling it and the yak closer together.

The chance I snagged on something seems close to zero, as I was using an offset worm hook with the point stuck in a grub.

Plus there aren't so many big kelp forests on the floor of Mission Bay.

So I think I won't be using the 6 lb. leaders anymore.

In the limited halibut experience I have, I never encountered two that fought similarly. The head shaking is the only consistancy. Some dug in like rays, some ran hard, and others practically swam right up to my yak and jumped into my lap.

pbb 12-28-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrilla (Post 178042)
Nevermind how they fight. How'd you get em to bite? :p

C-rig with offset worm hook in a 5" Kalin Salty Lunker Grub, slow drifting with the current.

StinkyMatt 12-29-2013 12:03 AM

Well,

Which way was he swimming prior to the break off? West- east or north -south?

Did the line vibrate or just a steady pull?

If I had to venture a guess(very highly educated guess). It was a 23 to 28 pound Hali.

Congrats on the fight with the mystery trophy.

:cheers1:

mrJB 12-29-2013 05:47 AM

It is illegal to fish in salt water with a 6# leader ;) ...

jorluivil 12-29-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrJB (Post 178052)

I'll get the popcorn;)

YakDout 12-29-2013 06:32 AM

What is MB? Missed bite?

BigRed805 12-29-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 178050)
Well,

Which way was he swimming prior to the break off? West- east or north -south?

Did the line vibrate or just a steady pull?

If I had to venture a guess(very highly educated guess). It was a 23 to 28 pound Hali.

Congrats on the fight with the mystery trophy.

:cheers1:

Ha! :linesnap:

ful-rac 12-29-2013 07:16 AM

Your in luck there are alot of "mystery trophy" experts here...

jorluivil 12-29-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 178058)
Your in luck there are alot of "mystery trophy" experts here...

Tony is right, they are soooo good that they can tell how big a fish (specifically a hali) is just by the arches on the sonar. You should hear the stories...................:rolleyes:

Hunters Pa 12-29-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrJB (Post 178052)

Unless you are working on the photo part of the Team Sewer application. Then it depends on how much fiber and coffee you have working your system.

My first legal halibut ever came up as complete dead weight until the surface. More recent have fought and had the telltaleheadshakes.

But my judgment may be clouded by the disbelief that I actually have something other than bait at the end of my line.

GregAndrew 12-29-2013 05:19 PM

I usually have to wait till I get a wiff of the fart bubbles to determine the size of my Halibut.

Vikingj 12-29-2013 08:35 PM

My 1st 30 pounder came up just as you described, but fortunately I had a 25lb leader. Better luck next time.